Requisition # 2017-7868
Department Mechanical & Aerospace Eng
Category Grants and Contracts
Date Posted 2 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Business Manager reports to the department manager and is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day financial and sponsored research management for the Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering. The most important aspects of the position are advising department leadership and managing financial operations. The Business Manager is a key member of the department's administrative leadership team with responsibility for the entire research entity and related activity of faculty research programs. Having responsibility for the business center, the business manager supervises two assistant grants managers and two academic support personnel.
- Hire, supervise, train, develop and evaluate business center staff; define job responsibilities, coordinate workflow and adjust duties to maximize productivity as necessary; provide mentoring for business center and department staff.
- Develop and implement department processes and procedures to ensure financial control and management of resources are in compliance with University and department guidelines and policies. Provide information and advice to faculty and staff on policies and procedures.
- Analyze financial data and trends and create reports for department manager and/or chair; preparation of reports for internal and external constituents.
- Supervise team with various department wide responsibilities such as telephone coordinator, access coordinator, purchasing, sponsored research, capital assets, and mailroom.
- Establish, maintain and monitor departmental accounting and recording procedures to ensure efficient and accurate communication of financial information to PIs; provide for ongoing analysis of research program resources, priorities, fiscal viability and changing conditions; provide timely updates to department manager and/or chair.
- Oversight of the grant processes: pre-, during and post-award responsibilities of assistant grants managers including proposal submissions, sub-awards, monthly forecasting, monitoring and approval of expenditures, progress reports and reporting requirements; ensure deadlines are met.
- Oversight and/or approval of purchases, invoices, travel and business expense reimbursements and labor transactions in accordance with University and sponsor guidelines and restrictions; ensure timely processing.
- Responsible for department casual hourly time collection process and approvals.
- Serve on department, school and/or university committees and working groups related to business and financial processes.
- Attend relevant training and outside professional activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3-5 years of similar experience.
- Financial management and supervision experience.
- Ability to understand and support organizational goals, apply knowledge to achieve department goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word. Excellent computational skills.
- Customer service and detail oriented; has a pro-active approach.
- Ability to work independently; possess strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure.
- Should be comfortable with working in an environment with frequent changes and evolving systems and tools.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Works as part of a team, resolving any issues that may jeopardize team success.
- Experience managing and administering sponsored research in a higher education environment.
- Experience with Princeton University business applications, policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with principles of accounting, federal Uniform Guidance and related sponsored research statutes.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and recommend methods for enhancing administrative operations and support.
- Able to ask complex questions, respond effectively and thoroughly.
- Ability to produce complex reports using complex applications.
- Possesses self-determination to identify solutions, make recommendations and sound decisions based on knowledge, analysis, experience and judgement.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.