Pipe/Mech Trades I
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Facilities Management Department
Pipe/ Mechanical Trades I
Position #00667702 - Requisition 10681
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
This full-time, state classified Pipe/Mechanical Trades I position operates, monitors, services and/or repairs systems components for all CU Denver campus buildings. Responds to emergency calls pertaining to HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and utility system failures and interruptions. Performs minor building repairs for building occupants (HVAC), electrical, plumbing, etc.). Records issues through shift desk computer and maintains shift log book. Performs preventative maintenance on fire extinguishers, public lighting, exit lights, battery operated lights, drinking fountains, eyewash/dump showers, flood carts and maintains electrical closets. May perform shift work, subject to 24 hours a day, 7 day a week operations. Performs various other duties and tasks
Examples of Work Performed:
- Respond to work orders and verbal assignments ensuring that tenant/staff requests are attended to in a timely, courteous, efficient manner. These work orders include requests for the repair of minor electrical items including lighting, minor plumbing items, floods, freezer monitoring, HVAC items including hot/cold calls and too much/little air supply.
- Respond to, and communicates with, tenants to insure all complaints are resolved in a timely manner and in a craftsman like fashion. The position will operate a university vehicle to transport tools and/or equipment to work sites across campus.
- Receives preventive maintenance work orders such as Air Conditioning (HVAC) filters, drive belts, lubrication and motors for the same, minor electrical, lighting and plumbing, pumps, and drinking fountains. Performs preventive maintenance on assigned equipment, logs reports as required. The position must have ability to perform data entry and be able to operate a computer to log reports. The position will record issues through the shift desk computer and maintain the log book. The position must have the ability for written communication since the position will maintain the log book.
Monitor Building Automation Systems Alarms and make necessary repairs:
- Respond to alarms. Determine the problem and solution and set priorities based on urgency. Make the necessary repairs, replaces/modifies components and/or parts (e.g. plumbing, steam, electrical, HVAC, and work-space aesthetic related alarms Monitor, analyze, decipher and translate various alarms. This includes BAS, security, and equipment alarms. Operate and log all mechanical/electrical systems as required
Emergencies, Special Events, and Other Duties:
- Participates and assist in emergencies based on the magnitude and nature.
- Support various special events both in preparation and during the event. Examples of emergencies and special events could include commencement, snow removal, power outages, flood, etc. May be assigned other duties as assigned.
Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shifts during emergency campus closures.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $3,556 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
Two years of progressively responsible pipe and/or mechanical trades experience related to HVAC, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing.
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
Successful completion of a formalized plumbing, pipefitting, steamfitting, or heating, ventilation and air conditioning apprenticeship program, or higher level, non-correspondence course work in the same fields from an accredited vocational school or university may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License.
• Must be willing and able to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle check and drug test.
• Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Facilities Operations Department Policies.
• Must be willing and able to stand and walk on a constant basis with or without accommodation.
• Must be willing and able to bend and reach above shoulders on a frequent basis with or without accommodation.
• Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds on a constant basis with or without accommodation.
• Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis with or without accommodation.
• Must be willing and able to push and pull on a frequent basis with or without accommodation.
• Must be willing and able to use manual dexterity, eye/hand coordination and near vision on a constant basis.
• Must be willing and able to use far vision, hearing and verbal communication on a frequent basis.
• Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions including snow, rain, heat, and cold.
• Must be willing and able to work with chemicals/solvents.
• Must be willing and able to work in areas where you may be exposed to hazardous chemicals or infectious materials.
• Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment and work around machinery or moving equipment.
• Must be willing and able to work around noise/vibrations.
• Must be willing and able to work alone, above ground and in small confined spaces.
• Must be willing and able to walk on uneven surfaces and climb on scaffolds/ladders.
• Must be willing and able to work straight or rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- Experience using computers to monitor buildings tied into Building Automation Systems (BAS).
- Experience fixing and maintaining equipment and machinery
- Experience keeping activity logs
- Experience in heating, ventilation and air conditioning
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
2. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds.
3. Experience that demonstrates strong customer service skills.
4. Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
6. Mechanical Ability
7. Physical Ability
8. Planning and organization skills.
9. Knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until August 25, 2017. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60106 - ADM AVCFO Building Mntc Oprns
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 25, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Ann Shimamoto
Posting Contact Email: Ann.Shimamoto@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00667702