Human Resources Director
Human Resources Director
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, this position is responsible for managing all the human resources programs for the College, including all policies and procedures related to recruitment, employee relations, employee benefits, performance evaluations, classification actions, unemployment, and workers’ compensation. The HR Director provides advice and guidance on personnel matters and ensures that HR policies and procedures are consistent and in accordance with SNC policies and legal and governmental employment requirements. The HR Director serves as a strategic partner to the executive management team on a broad range of human resources related issues, programs, and initiatives that support organizational strategic goals.
- Manage all aspects of the onboarding process for faculty, staff and student hires. Duties include conducting new hire orientations, advising new employees on employment, benefits, and SNC policies and procedures, and coordinating the new hire set up with Payroll, IT, Facilities and benefits companies.
- Manage an electronic centralized recruitment process and assist in hiring by providing job descriptions and advertisements.
- Advise department heads, supervisors, and employees on internal policies and procedures and federal and state employment legislation and compliance as applicable.
- Serve on the IRC 403(b) defined contribution retirement plan fiduciary committee and work with the committee, advisors, consultants, and the record keeper to maintain a compliant and beneficial plan for faculty and staff.
- Assist and cooperate with external auditors in the annual IRS/DOL IRC 403(b) plan audit.
- Counsel employees and supervisors concerning performance issues and disciplinary matters and make recommendations.
- Investigate and resolve external and internal charges, complaints of harassment and/or discrimination, applies an understanding of legal precedents and policies to protect the interest of SNC, collaborates with legal counsel, considering risks for the College and involving others as appropriate.
- Coordinate the Worker’s Compensation process by assuring all paperwork is complete, relay information to the Worker’s Compensation provider in a timely manner, and maintain appropriate documentation of claims.
- Coordinate the annual enrollment process and administer the benefit programs including group health, life, LTD, dental, vision, tuition assistance, vacation/sick leave, retirement plans, etc.
- Serve as point of contact with providers/brokers and faculty and staff for benefits questions and assistance.
- Develop and implement personnel policies and procedures and communicates them to the appropriate parties.
- Process employment separations, handle termination meetings and exit interviews, and coordinate all the actions included on the separation checklist; oversee administration of COBRA and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Participate in planning and implementation of Banner ERP HR and Payroll systems.
- Develop and provide to the Office of the Provost, all human resources related data and statistical information required for the filling of various federal and state reports.
- Administer and monitor the annual performance evaluation process for staff employees.
- Review, update, and distribute the staff employee handbook on a yearly basis.
- Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Maintain the College HR web site.
- Maintain up-to-date labor compliance posters.
- Maintain records and employee files according to established policies and procedures.
- Respond to employee verifications and unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Communicate HR information as needed to stay in compliance with employment laws.
- Bachelor’s degree required. PHR/SPHR certification is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of HR experience in a generalist role.
- Proven knowledge of federal/state employment laws, including EEO, ADA, ACA, FLSA & FMLA.
- A track record of exercising discretion on sensitive and confidential matters.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office software, primarily Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with a variety of people – faculty, staff, students, and administration
- Must have strong administrative, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills required.
- Professional presentation and positive, fair, and considerate disposition a must.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to establish priorities and handle multiple time-sensitive projects and confidential matters with little supervision.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and independently under deadline pressures.
Reports to: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Pay Range: Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience
Position Classification: Full-time, exempt
Other: Fingerprint check required as a condition of employment
Please apply online at http://www.sierranevada.edu/resources/employment/ by submitting your resume, cover letter, and list of at least three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Sierra Nevada College is Nevada’s only private, four-year, Liberal Arts-based residential institution of higher education the main campus of which is located just blocks away from the north shore of Lake Tahoe, a world-class destination for year-round recreation, environmental studies, entrepreneurism, and education.
Sierra Nevada College is an Equal Opportunity Employer