Senior Network Engineer
Systems, Networks and Telecom (SNT)
Summary of the Position
The role of Senior Network Engineer includes key responsibilities that includes providing LAN/WAN technical design, configuration, troubleshooting, and analysis for Bentley's Network Infrastructure. The ability to provide leadership and currency on emerging network technologies and lead the development of plans as to when, where and how to deploy new network technologies (i.e. IPv6, SDN etc.). The individual for this role must be knowledgeable of Cloud Services (SaaS, DRaaS) and IoT (Internet of Things) with an ability to integrate them into the existing Bentley infrastructure. The University expexts a high available network and the Senior Network Engineer must work to ensure every piece of network hardware is monitored, and that the network is running 7 X 24. This person will be required to be part of monthly on call rotation for second and third shifts.
You will also be the primary network security engineer, able to configure, monitor and manage the various network security systems employed at the university such as firewalls, VPN, IPS/IDS, vulnerability management and log management software. Responsible for partnering with our outside monitoring firm to conduct daily security log review, maintenance and archive for all network security devices. Work with the CISO and outside firms to perform internal and external security assessments/testing to validate the effectiveness of the university's security measures. Work with business units to identify and remediate security and information vulnerabilities.
Troubleshooting and Resolution: You must work to resolve security and network issues by working either independently, with other team members, or with other University departments. The ability to independently isolate variables, identify problems and deliver a clear, concise solution to fix any problems is essential. Coordinate the management of multiple open issues and interface with vendors, other internal functional areas, and/or end users at all levels.
• Assist in the development and implementation of overall network security and architectural strategy.
• Provide leadership to junior members of the network team.
• Ability to work well within a team, and communicate to senior leadership and translate technical issues into business terms.
• Ability to lead and manage network projects.
• Perform detection and remediation of identified security events. Participate in incident response and forensics as required.
• Configure, monitor and maintain all LAN/WAN equipment including Firewalls, routers, switches, Load Balancers, IPS/IDS, and VPN appliances.
• Configure and Upgrade and/or install new hardware as required.
• Make adjustments, additions or deletions to maintain maximum performance, reliability and security. Maintain and monitor university log management systems.
• Upgrade and fine tune systems as necessary. Monitor and maintain remote user access.
This includes IP-Sec-VPN and SSL-VPN tunnels for faculty, staff and vendors. This includes adding and removing users in accordance with current policies. Providing up to date reports and keeping access current.
• Strong knowledge in network and security technologies such as Ethernet, VLANs, 802.1q VLAN trunking, firewalls, IPS/IDS, Wireless, protocol analysis, TCP/IP (IPv4), AAA (Authentication, Authorization, Auditing), DHCP, DNS, VPN.
• Familiarity with applicable laws and regulations (i.e. FERPA, HIPPA, PCI, DMCA).
Minimum Qualifications(Education and Experience Requirements)
A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline and a minimum of 5-7 years working as a network engineer, with previous senior level experience preferred. Strong knowledge with Juniper routers and switches. Strong knowledge in routing and dynamic routing protocols(OSPF, BGP). Must have experience with Cisco ASA 5500 for IPSec and SSL VPN. Palo Alto firewalls, Cisco Routers. Preferred Experience with any of the following network security tools: Wireshark, Cisco/Sourcefire IPS/IDS, vulnerability scanners, Splunk and Qradar. A good understanding of Windows, VMware, DNS/DHCP. Solid experience in controller based, wireless networks, Aruba preferred. Preferred Qualifications include experience with networking into the cloud.
There is a limited amount of physical effort needed. This job requires the ability to lift networking hardware such as switches, firewalls and network servers. The ability to go to remote wiring closets for troubleshooting, etc. is also required. The overall components that make our Network Infrastructure have high-visibility and stringent uptime requirements. There are times where there will be high degrees of stress and pressure.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Bentley University requires reference checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you possess a minimum of a bachelor's degree?
- Do you possess a minimum of 5-7 years of working experience as a Network Engineer?
- Please describe your experience using Juniper?
(Open Ended Question)
- Please describe your experience using Palo Alto.
(Open Ended Question)
- Please describe your experience using Cisco.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.