The newly formed South Dakota Board of Technical Education seeks an Executive Director to join its leadership team. This critical role manages daily operations of the board and is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan to support the state’s four, public technical institutes. Other key duties include business/industry outreach and collaboration, lobbying, policy, and financial strategy of the board and technical institute system. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Apply at: http://tinyurl.com/ycsyds49
Who We’d Like to Hire:
- Mission-driven advocate of technical education and workforce development
- Networker with the courage and charisma to meet challenges head-on and compel decisions-makers to create transformational change
- Proactive achiever motivated to support and develop the best technical college system in the country
- Trusted leader who is sought out for their ability to create meaningful change for employers and students in South Dakota
- Diplomatic professional who creates, articulates, and delivers compelling messages and presentations
- Strategic and innovative thinker who exceeds expectations through hard work, accountability and follow through
What the Executive Director Will Do:
- Provide leadership for the technical institute system under the direction of the board
- Serve as the primary spokesperson to the board’s stakeholders, the media, and the public
- Enhance the public’s perception of the value of technical education
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including businesses, industry organizations, legislators, technical institute administrators, local boards of education, K-12 education, Board of Regents, and state agencies to address the need for skilled professionals in the state’s technical workforce
- Lead major initiatives to fulfill the board’s mission and support workforce development strategies
- Participate with the board in developing a strategic plan; execute implementation of the plan
- Draft policy and legislation for the board’s consideration
- Lobby in the South Dakota legislature and broadly advocate for technical education and workforce development priorities
- Work with the board, staff, and technical institutes to prepare a comprehensive annual budget for the board, staff, and system
- Manage state-level coordination of facilities projects in the technical institute system
- Ensure applicable state and federal laws and regulations are met
- Be knowledgeable of the technical institute accreditation standards, including the Higher Learning Commission and other specialty accreditations
- Serve as a professional advisor to the board on all aspects of the organization’s activities. Identify, assess and inform the board of internal or external issues that affect the board or technical institute system.
- Fiscal management for operations of the board and technical institute system
- Hire and retain competent and talented staff. Coach and mentor staff for expected performance.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- Experience: Five or more years in leadership position(s) in higher education administration, public administration, business, or related fields. Success in policy development, strategic planning and execution, budgeting, grant administration and lobbying.
- Education: Advanced degree preferred in public administration, education, business, or related fields or commensurate leadership experience.
- Ability to travel approx. 30%
- Preferred: National Career Readiness Certificate, Gold or Platinum