Director of Communications
Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 08-08-2017
Milner Library constantly communicates, interacts, and collaborates with external constituents concerning new services, programs, exhibits, and activities. This position is responsible for the strategic and logistical components of library communication, programming, and outreach to the extended University community. It works in partnership with library administration, faculty, and staff to reach out and inform constituents and to enhance the Library's ability to respond to constituent expectations. The person in this position will assist with library donor development below the major gift threshold.
Works closely with administrators, librarians, and staff on development and implementation of public communications, programs, exhibits, donor development, and other activities. Collaborates with librarians and staff on efforts to reach out to campus groups whose needs may not be addressed through regular channels. Assists the Library with internal communications, and coordinates Milner's social media.
1. Bachelor's degree
2. Three years of experience in university communications, alumni relations, event planning, and/or advancement
3. Ability to think and work strategically about communication as a way to advance university library priorities
4. Ability to coordinate the details and logistics associated with planning and implementing events
5. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
6. Ability to work collaboratively in a strongly collegial and participative environment
7. Familiar with necessary computer programs including but not limited to the current Office Suite, Adobe Design Suite, and social networking applications
8. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Strong grasp of library cultures and ethos
2. Prior experience in public relations and working with students
3. Master's in Library Science
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.