Assistant Director, SMHS Media Relations and Social Media
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Department of Communications is seeking an Assistant Director, Media Relations and Social Media.
This individual will be responsible for the following duties:
- Prioritize, target and promote the School's research, news and activities through written, verbal, event and multimedia communications.
- Develop, implement and manage an annual media and public relations plan including overarching strategies and targeted campaigns that align with School, office and team goals.
- Cultivate relationships with journalists in national, regional, local and trade media outlets and publications.
- Supervise two staff members, including the editorial assistant and the communications specialist.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the media.
- Identify key media outlets and strategize the best time to pitch - follow current events and identifySMHSexpert to comment in the media.
- Identify strategic placements.
- Develop compelling story angles.
- Pitch stories to all media outlets.
- Write clear and compelling press releases.
- Counsel faculty and staff on issues related to the media including op-eds, while also leading regular media training for faculty and leadership.
- Manage or oversee on-site (and possibly off-site) interviews, press conferences, news, video and film crews as required.
- Oversee writing quality of both the editorial assistant and the communications specialist.
- Follow up to all media inquiries.
- Work closely with GW University media relations staff to ensure that they are aware of our placements and outreach; liaise withMedical Faculty Affairs (MFA)and GW Hospital media relations staff for optimal placement of faculty experts.
- Liaise with other schools and universities when writing press releases about upcoming research publishing.
- Assist with and at times lead emergency and crisis communications working with School- and University-wide crisis and risk management teams and systems.
- Manage the news and media section of the School's website.
- Oversee day-to-day management of the variousSMHSsocial media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and SnapChat and any other social media platform thatSMHSdecides to have a presence.
- Strategize for growth within social media channels.
- Coordinate with centers, institutes, and other groups within the school who have a social media presence to ensure that their messages are consistent with the brand and that they are serving as a responsible spokesperson for the school and its initiatives.
- Manages and executes the social media editorial calendar.
- Provides training to all new social media users; provides social media guidelines to all units.
- Provides social media training to new students - outlining the appropriate use of social media as a medical professional.
- Strategizes that best use of social media for campaigns and school initiatives.
- Coordinate with parts of the University on social media initiatives.
- Lead the research, planning, and implementation of the longer-term development of the sites and social media, and ensure they continue to achieve their objectives.
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
This position is primarily located on the Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington DC.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 4 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
This is a highly independent position with regular reporting to the Sr. Director of Communications and Marketing. It requires someone who uses strong and sound judgment in managing news and stakeholder requests, pitches and relationships.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Comm, Mktg & Media Sub-Family Media Relations Stream Management Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? Yes (Department Specific) Posting Number: S006573 Job Open Date: 08/09/2017 Job Close Date: 08/13/2017 If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently employed at GW within the School of Medicine and Health Sciences?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter