College of Liberal Arts & Sciences: Assistant/Associate Director of Finance and Administration - De
Assistant/Associate Director of Finance & Administration
Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (ChBE) seeks a full-time (12-month) academic professional as an Assistant/Associate Director of Finance & Administration. This position reports to the Head of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and will serve as chief financial and administrative officer of the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (ChBE), bearing primary responsibility for financial and managerial oversight of departmental operations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Work closely with the Department Head to develop and implement financial and academic policies and procedures.
Create the Department's annual budget and work closely with College of LAS' Budget Director on the annual state budget allocation process.
Coordinate departmental funding commitments to and from all campus sources - includes responsibility for faculty startups & retentions, construction/maintenance projects, and dual-career hires.
Exercise high-level, independent decision-making with regard to expenditures, contractual agreements, and procurement, and respond on behalf of the Head in budgetary matters to ensure minimal interruption in operations and services.
Oversee the summer instructional budget process.
Oversee the management of all departmental accounts.
Review and analyze the department's financial position.
Advise Department Head on funds available for strategic initiatives such as hiring new faculty, large renovation projects, and cost-sharing needs (retentions, shared equipment, etc.).
Establish and administer internal policies and procedures consistent with campus standards to assure efficient, effective use of departmental financial and administrative resources and to facilitate the smooth operation of the department.
Serve as Department Head's designee in a variety of administrative matters and as a liaison to School, College and Campus committees (including both the Campus and College's Business Managers Groups).
Review and approve research proposal transmittal forms as a delegate for the Department Head - includes contributed effort and financial cost sharing.
Approve departmental security access requests.
Manage teaching assignments and releases for faculty and graduate students.
Oversee the staffing of last minute or temporary teaching needs (includes faculty instructors and teaching assistants) to ensure delivery of courses.
Review growth patterns in ChBE courses to analyze teaching needs, identify areas for improvement and implement solutions.
Oversee department reporting efforts (RNUA, Ethics, outside agency reporting).
Oversee the following functions:
- Computer and technology needs of the department
- Space and resource requests
- Academic Integrity process
- Sabbatical leave request process
- Promotion and Tenure process
Work closely with School of Chemical Sciences to identify facilities requirements.
Develop long range plans for facilities needs to accomplish research and teaching objectives.
Oversee funding and expenditure approval/tracking for large building projects and renovations.
General oversight of departmental safety procedures.
Act at the departmental point of contact with the School of Chemical Sciences Human Resources Office (SCS HR) to provide guidance to the Department Head and faculty in handling personnel matters, oversee analysis of human resource needs and advise the head on recruitment of all personnel, oversee assessment of duties for promotional considerations and salary levels, and manage disciplinary actions for all Departmental employees.
Supervise the staff in the Department's clerical staff and hourly personnel. This includes; recruitment, retention, evaluation, discipline, set priorities and schedules, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Education or a Bachelor's degree in a related scientific field and 3 years' administrative and/or financial experience.
- Three years professional work experience with administrative and/or financial matters
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Education or a Bachelor's degree in a related scientific field and 6 years' administrative and/or financial experience.
- Six years professional work experience with administrative and/or financial matters
Required both titles:
- Professional work experience supervising staff
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work with culturally diverse groups
- Exceptional communication skills, organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Master's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Education or a Master's degree in a related scientific field and 3 years' administrative experience.
- Master's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Education or a Master's degree in a related scientific field and 5 years' administrative experience.
Preferred both titles:
- Professional experience in higher education
- Interest in improving departmental processes and documenting procedures
Salary and Start Date:
Salary and title level are commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting date is as soon as possible after closing date.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by the closing date of August 22, 2017. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information/questions: Contact the SCS HR Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-300-1637.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences: Assistant/Associate Director of Finance and Administration - Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (A1700490)
Open Date: 08/09/2017
Organization Name: Chemical and Biomolecular Engr