Associate Director, Donor Relations - Development Communications
Posting Date August 9, 2017
Position Title Associate Director, Donor Relations - Development Communications
Vacancy # V-1356
Department University Advancement
Division University Advancement
Reporting to the Director of Donor Relations, the Associate Director of Development Communications will oversee, manage and assess development, stewardship and alumni communications for the Division of University Advancement. The Associate Director will serve as project manager, editor, and/or principal writer for a wide variety of print and electronic projects. Types of projects include formal proposals, direct mail pieces, brochures and newsletters, invitations, web site content, speeches, electronic communications, and event scripts. This individual will have direct engagement with the President's Office as well as access to confidential donor information. The Associate Director must exercise discretion and implement policy for handling all communications.
Serves as project manager for all writing projects as assigned from inception through delivery, including materials for: the University President, President's Club, Annual Scholarship Dinner, Annual Giving Programs, Alumni Engagement, College, School and University projects; acknowledgements; scholarship brochures; and campaign priorities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Writes Annual Fund solicitations.
- Writes President's Club newsletter.
- Writes development-oriented copy and edits material written by others in the division.
- Manages the overall communications calendar and deliverable schedule for the Development Department.
- Manages, writes and updates content for the Giving and Foundation sections of the University website.
- Creates stewardship letters and reports for the University Foundation (including reports for donors).
- Other development communications, as needed, for internal and external audiences.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and they shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in relating to Board members, University administrators, academic leaders, University Advancement staff, and external audiences.
- Skilled writer/editor with deep knowledge of University's Development strategy (experience with public institutions preferred).
- Proven ability to successfully manage and organize multiple projects so as to consistently produce high-quality work on deadline, within budget and achieving goals.
- Ability to perform with high energy, clarity, optimism, diplomacy and integrity.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business correspondence, marketing materials and development reports.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, with the ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience and voice of the piece.
- Strong project management skills, with a dedicated ability to meet deadlines while maintaining good relations with University colleagues, students, alumni and friends.
- Ability to quickly and effectively gather information by means of interviews, database research, etc.
- Ability to organize information for effective presentation in publications, websites, and other media.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited college or university required; master's or advanced degree preferred.
- Five years of professional experience in communications, media relations or related field with preference given to candidates with development experience in higher education environments.
- Skilled writer/editor with deep knowledge of university development strategy (experience with public institutions preferred).
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Open until filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION