UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Assistant Professor or Higher
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
The Department of Physiology and Biophysics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine is seeking up to two neuroscientists/physiologists to fill open tenure-eligible junior faculty positions. Applicants with more senior ranks may be considered in special cases. The applicant's research program should address fundamental physiological questions at systems, cellular, or molecular levels, to complement and extend the Department's existing research strengths in nervous and cardiovascular system function and computational science (www.medschool.ucdenver.edu/physiology). We especially encourage applicants using state-of-the-art imaging, electrophysiological methods and/or computational approaches. We expect appointees to conduct vigorous independent research and to participate in professional and graduate teaching and training.
Appointees will join a vibrant and growing Department with a commitment to mentoring faculty and trainees from diverse backgrounds, as well as wider neuroscience and physiology communities at the School of Medicine. Research interests in the Department currently include cardiac and skeletal muscle physiology, cell signaling, computational neuroscience, developmental neurobiology, ion channel biology, sensory and motor systems, and synaptic function. Extra-departmental interactions, including basic science and translational collaborations, are facilitated by several interdepartmental programs and centers (e.g., NIH T32-supported Neuroscience Program, www.medschool.ucdenver.edu/neuroscience; NIH T15-supported Computational Biology Program, compbio.ucdenver.edu; Integrated Physiology Program; Center for Neuroscience). In addition, the Center for Neuroscience and an NINDS P30 grant support state-of-the-art core facilities that include advanced light microscopy, super resolution nanoscopy, rodent gene manipulation, rodent in vivo behavior and electrophysiology, and optogenetics and neural engineering. Other shared resources include genomics, proteomics and molecular structure cores, an electron microscopy center, and a machine shop.
The applicant's research program should address fundamental physiological questions at systems, cellular, or molecular levels, and complement and/or extend the Department's existing research strengths in nervous and cardiovascular system function and computational science (www.medschool.ucdenver.edu/physiology).
The position will report directly to the Department Chair.
The appointee will recruit and supervise lab personnel necessary for an effective research program.
Examples of Work Performed
- Appointees will conduct vigorous independent research.
- Will participate in professional and graduate teaching and training.
- Research program should address fundamental physiological questions at systems, cellular, or molecular levels.
- Research program will complement and/or extend the Department's existing research strengths in nervous and cardiovascular system function and computational science.
- The appointee is expected to participate in department, school, University and scholarly organizations according to his/her area of expertse.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree and appropriate post-doctoral research experience to establish an independent research program and obtain extramural funding.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Capable of effectively pursuing an independent research program including publishing scholarly papers, and obtaining extramural funding.
- Capable of effectively teaching and mentoring students in the medical school and graduate school.
- Applicants currently using state-of-the-art imaging, electrophysiological and/or computational approaches are preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Please have 3-6 of your referees forward a letter of recommendation directly to Rob Stiner at email@example.com. For full consideration, please have your full application submitted by October 15, 2017 and your letter of recommendations forwarded to Rob Stiner by October 31, 2017.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10583
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- A research plan detailing the intended direction of independent research
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for 3-6 professional references, uploaded as a separate document. Please note that you are responsible for contacting these individuals and asking them to submit their letter of reference to Rob Stiner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact, except for the reference letters submitted by the referees.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20127 - SOM - Physiology
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rob Stiner
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00652799