Director of Entrepreneurship
The Director of Entrepreneurship for the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) will be responsible for connecting the college to the larger entrepreneurial community across campus, the Boulder community and the state. The position will be the chief advocate and champion for integrating entrepreneurial experiences into the engineering pedagogy, will represent the college at campus events and functions, and will join other campus leaders in advancing innovation and entrepreneurship across campus. In particular, the position will work with the Leeds School of Business and Research and Innovation Office to build a more direct linkage so that students benefit from each other's skills and perspective in the field of entrepreneurship.
The position will establish and grow entrepreneurship tracks within each capstone course within the college, help faculty develop curriculum and projects that require innovative thinking and entrepreneurial development, establish a first-year experience for CEAS students that exposes them to innovation and entrepreneurship, and will also work with entrepreneurial-minded faculty and staff to engage and build connections with the Colorado startup community. This position with oversee the Managing Director of Catalyze CU and connect the community and campus interests in support of the cross-campus accelerator.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Strategic Leadership & Project Management of First Year Entrepreneurial Experience:
- Support leadership of entrepreneurship initiative for the College of Engineering and Applied Science in collaboration with area leaders such as the Leeds School of Business, administration, tenure and tenure-track faculty, researchers, graduate students, and undergraduate students.
- Work collaboratively across campus to help facilitate entrepreneurship and innovation for the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the institution and appreciation for the academy.
- Manage relationships across campus from prospective students to top campus leadership.
- Support of course development and delivery of the undergraduate and graduate entrepreneurship programs.
- Work directly with the Leeds School of Business through its Managing Director of Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Design Thinking and the Director of the Deming Center to connect CEAS students with Leeds students through joint projects, co-curricular activities, shared space and coursework.
- Work with the college to develop a first year entrepreneurial experience for all incoming first year CEAS students as part of the first year projects course, or other first year student experiences.
- Work with each department and appropriate programs in the college to establish entrepreneurial capstone tracks within the regular curriculum.
- Assist faculty in developing course content and recruit outside speakers who can introduce innovative thinking and entrepreneurial language and concepts to first year students. Develop course content on design thinking and innovation, and assist faculty with identifying projects for development.
- Identify potential interested parties to students, faculty and programs in and outside of the classroom.
- Connect CEAS faculty and students with the local community for sponsorship, mentoring and support.
External Community Engagement and Partnerships:
- Serve as the college's chief spokesperson, advocate and champion across campus for the purpose of integrating innovation and entrepreneurship into every student's experience by connecting relevant faculty and staff with the Colorado startup community. This effort may include developing campus events, building strategic partnerships, and counseling CEAS faculty and staff on potential entrepreneurial paths for their ideas.
- Provide oversight and guidance for the Catalyze CU cross-campus business accelerator. Work with the Managing Director of Catalyze CU on program content, financial support, community engagement, team selection and coordination with other campus programs.
- Work with the Research and Innovation Office and the director of innovation and entrepreneurship within RIO to establish a strategy to integrate innovation into every college and school on campus, and to provide an entrepreneurial experience for every first year student.
- Attend CU and Front Range Community events, be an active networker, support the greater entrepreneurship community, assure follow-up, and make connections.
- Collaborate with the Advancement Team to further the campus entrepreneurship initiative.
- Collaborate with the College Marketing and Communications team to help publicize innovation activities to those off-campus.
- Serve on school and University committees, as requested by the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Undertakes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you should know:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
What we can offer:
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be diverse. Be inspired. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Seven years of professional experience with an entrepreneurial, innovative and/or design focus.
What you will need:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, including high level of comfort presenting to senior management.
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated marketing management skills and the ability to work effectively with decision-makers across all levels within an organization.
- Proficient project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs and lead teams toward a common goal.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree or higher from an accredited institution in business, engineering or a related field.
- Experience with engineering and/or working with engineers.
- At least 3 years' experience in each of the following areas:
- Teaching in the field of entrepreneurship.
- Planning and managing program budgets.
- Developing course content on design thinking and innovation.
- Knowledge of federal/national partnerships and initiatives to advance entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Knowledge of the Front Range's entrepreneurial and business community.
- Proven success working within higher education and with entrepreneurial programs.
- Knowledge of the Boulder/Denver entrepreneurship community.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Job Category: External Relations
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10298 - College Engineering & App Sci
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 18, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736930