Administrative Support Specialist - Journey
Position Number 12600
Position Classification Title Adminstrative Support Spec
Functional Title Administrative Support Specialist - Journey
Position Type Administration - Staff
SERVE houses the National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE), the U.S. Department of Education's information and technical assistance center in the area of homeless education. The primary tasks of NCHE are to develop and disseminate materials on effective strategies, provide information and referrals upon request, and facilitate networking among educators, administrators, and service providers to ensure that children and youth experiencing homelessness can access educational opportunities and succeed in school. SERVE also manages and coordinates the North Carolina Homeless Education Program (NCHEP) and the NC Foster Care Program. This position is that of program assistant to support the work of NCHE, NCHEP and other related projects.
Duties related to this position include:
- Assist with editing and delivery of reports, briefs, documents and awareness materials appropriate for a wide range of audiences;
- Oversee input of information into databases and assist with developing various reports as needed;
- Logistical oversight and involvement in the execution of conferences and meetings to support national, state and local audiences;
- Coordinate listservs and websites to share program information;
- Initiate, develop, and maintain online technology initiatives that facilitate networking and learning, including online professional networking communities, virtual conferences and webinars;
- Assist with outreach/orientation for new State Coordinators and local liaisons (including logistical support for the State Coordinators mentoring program);
- Assist with the online order process for NCHE publications and products;
- Provide general administrative support to NCHEP, NC Foster Care and NCHE program leadership and staff (managing leave reports, travel authorization and registration, reimbursement processing, etc.);
- Manage end-of-year and monthly reports to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the U.S. Department of Education;
- Assist in the coordination of annual needs assessments (NCHEP); and
- Assist with processing documents for SERVE subcontracts (invoicing, reports, etc.).
The candidate must have proven experience in office and program administration. An appreciation of the work required to support at-risk children and families, as well as experience in logistical planning is preferred.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY AND ONE YEAR OF RELATED OFFICE EXPERIENCE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.
- Proven experience in office and program administration. Must have an appreciation of work required to support at-risk children and families. Should have experience in logistical planning.
- Must be willing to work at North Campus in Browns Summit, NC.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Recruitment Range $31,947 - $36,388
Org #-Department SERVE - 12004
Work Hours of Position 8:00 A.M. - 5 P.M., Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Knowledge-Program - Demonstrates significant knowledge of the goals, priorities, and commitments of the administrator and operational structure. Demonstrates considerable knowledge of the programs and culture of the organization. Applies knowledge of strategic goals, organizational practices, and critical polices, laws, rules, and regulations that impact the mission of the organization. Work requires an awareness of internal and external constituents and organizations with which the administrator's commitments must be coordinated.
Information/Records Administration - Independently researches information affecting organizational goals and objectives and administrator's decision-making needs. Interprets and summarizes information based on program knowledge, organizational goals, and priorities.
Communication-Written - Independently assimilates and composes materials for the administrator to use in a variety of settings (i.e. publications, web site, etc.) Edit documents to incorporate the administrator's personal style.
Open Date 08/09/2017
Close Date 08/27/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 62
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 4 or more years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu