Counselor - Pre-Health
Counselor - Pre-Health
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of the Academic Counseling Center (ACC), advises new, prospective, and transfer students, specifically in pre-health professions. This includes developmental and career advising as well as helping students develop an educational plans toward application of their chosen academic health education and training program.
-Responds to informational requests from potential students, staff, high school counselors, and the general public and creates and/or updates informational materials pertaining to the various health professions. Interprets and explains university policies and procedures as needed.
-Maintains a case load of incoming and continuing undergraduate students, including student advisement records. Counsels students regarding the development of meaningful educational plans compatible with their choice of career, vocational an/or life goals. Interprets psychological instruments and advises students regarding alternative majors and careers. Recommends curriculum and academic plans complimentary to their career choices. Advises students as they design and plan their academic schedules.
-Serves as a member of the Advisement Forum and participates in meetings, activities, and events as required. Represents the department on any relevant university committees, departmental committees or professional associations or organizations as assigned.
-Collaborates with faculty and staff in order to collaborate and provide accurate information concerning program changes, assessment guidelines, course and instructor information, transfer issues, scholarships, and appropriate referrals.
-Organizes and coordinates undergraduate student programs or events, including conducting classes or workshops as needed related to pre-health information.
-Assists students through the application process of health professions schools, including editing personal statements, managing and writing letters of recommendation, presenting application workshops and mock interviews.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a master’s degree in Counseling & Guidance, Educational Psychology, Social Work, or related Social Science field and two years of full time professional employment related to the Summary of Duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of advising and teaching laws and techniques, including content, curriculum, and graduation requirements.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the university’s mission and strategic directions.
- Knowledge of academic requirements, professional activities, testing, and overall preparation requirements for variety of health related programs and professions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills using various communication media.
- Skilled in using microcomputers, computer terminals, and academic and office software platforms (BANNER) as applied to management of student records, report preparation, and related activities.
- Skilled in administering, analyzing, and interpreting MBTI, STRONG and other psychological tests in order to help students acquire knowledge about self and Career Market during the counseling process.
- Ability to anticipate departmental and student needs.
- Ability to creatively and independently solve problems by prioritizing and multitasking under pressure.
- Ability to serve individuals with diverse personalities.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to apply knowledge of career development and decision-making theory to help students define and integrate academic and career goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
Work as normally performed in a typical office work environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: $36,391 - $48,425
Advertisement Number: ST20617
Open Date: 08/08/2017
Review Start Date: 08/14/2017
Close Date: 8/14/2017
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant: Under “Reference’s Letter” please list a minimum of three contacts. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/2343
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.