Information Technology Security Coordinator – Information Technology Services - PROVISIONAL
Announcement is hereby made for the appointment of an Information Technology Security Coordinator
(Civil Service) in Information Technology`. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Civil Service position under the supervision of the College’s Vice President for Information Technology/CIO. An employee in this class has overall responsibility for protecting the information technology infrastructure for Suffolk County Community College. The incumbent provides direction and leadership to all College departments through education and awareness programs and the implementation of security policies, standards and processes. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Develops and coordinates the implementation of College information security policies, standards, procedures and other control processes, to safeguard electronically maintained information and systems.
- Develops, implements, and maintains the College’s Information Security program, in consultation with information stakeholders, to meet compliance requirements under SUNY’s Information Security Policy and federal regulations, including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
- Investigates alleged information security violations and assures adherence to procedures when referring investigations to other investigatory and law enforcement agencies.
- Participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of disaster recovery processes and techniques to assure continuity of business and security controls, in the event of system unavailability.
- Develops and implements access and usage policies for networks, internet, electronic mail and voice mail and assures compliance with such policies. Conducts security risk assessments and consults with the supervisor and other College departments regarding security on existing and new implementations.
- Prepares technical specifications for hardware and software purchases for security applications.
- Reviews and approves all external connections to the College network
- Assures security awareness thought training programs and other education for all College employees and, where appropriate, third party individuals.
- Represents the College General Counsel at meetings regarding legal, regulatory and other security issues.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Comprehensive knowledge of the current principles, practices and procedures of developing and implementing an information security program; through knowledge of network protocols, encryption techniques, firewalls, virtual private networks, database structures, wireless communications, and access security techniques; through knowledge of the current principles, practice, and procedures of information technology; good knowledge of training methods in staff development; ability to coordinate the activities of subordinate personnel; ability to establish effective working relationships with associates and official representatives; ability to express oneself effectively, both orally and in writing.
(a) Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with a Bachelor’s Degree, and four (4) years of experience reviewing, evaluating, implementing and assuring compliance with information technology security programs and procedures; or
(b) Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, plus eight (8) years of experience in information technology implementation and processing, which includes at least four (4) years reviewing, evaluating, implementing and assuring compliance with information technology security programs and procedures; or
(c) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined by the limits of (a) and (b).
Additional computer-related education beyond a Bachelor’s Degree may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two (2) years.
Click on the following link:
Select position #17-79 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.