Title IX and Bias Harassment Coordinator
Purpose of Position
Macalester College invites applications and nominations for a Title IX & Bias Harassment Coordinator. A key member of the President’s team, the Title IX & Bias Harassment Coordinator plays a vital role to lead efforts across all divisions of the college to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements as it relates to Title IX and bias-related harassment laws and regulations. The Coordinator will work collaboratively and proactively with campus partners to ensure the campus climate, both in and out of the classroom, is an inclusive, equitable, safe, and welcoming learning, living, and working environment.
The Title IX office team consists of the Title IX & Bias Harassment Coordinator and a full-time Sexual Violence Prevention Program Coordinator who also serves as a Deputy Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX and Bias Harassment program has enjoyed tremendous growth and support. Macalester College has dedicated significant resources to building and training a Title IX Bias and Harassment Team that includes appointed staff and faculty members who have a shared responsibility for consulting with and supporting the Title IX Coordinator and may serve as the Coordinator’s designee.
In addition to a committed team, the Coordinator will enjoy the opportunity to interact with highly engaged faculty, staff and student populations who are involved in frequent discussions around gender and social equality at large. The Coordinator will need to be empathetic, fair and professional; with the ability to offer guidance and resources. The Coordinator will be entrusted with ensuring a professional, compliant and user friendly process for complaints, as well as the on-going awareness and education for our community. The Coordinator will also be looked upon to cultivate the importance of Title IX work and build relationships that ensure Macalester is a leader on the issue.
• Develop, deliver, and oversee college-wide Title IX and bias harassment training and preventive programming for college leadership, faculty, staff, and students.
• Coordinate and ensure the timely completion of the College’s response and investigation of reports and complaints of sexual violence (including sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner violence, and domestic violence) and bias-related harassment.
• Provide vision and leadership around Title IX and bias-related issues, emphasizing compliance and education as the key priorities.
• Oversee the College’s centralized review, investigation, and resolution of reports of sexual misconduct and bias-related harassment.
• Oversee training for staff, faculty, and students involved in the reporting, investigating, and adjudication of sexual misconduct
• Oversee handling of all Title IX reports, complaints, and compliance with procedures and process of the College’s sexual misconduct policy. Identify and assess any patterns or systemic problems revealed by reports and complaints and ensure accurate recordkeeping and reporting.
• Appoint and supervise Deputy Title IX coordinators, Title IX Bias & Harassment Team members, and Sexual Assault and Harassment Support Team members.
• Supervise the Sexual Violence Prevention Program Coordinator, who oversees sexual violence prevention programming and outreach on campus.
• Provide assistance to any college community member regarding how to report and respond to complaints of sexual violence and bias harassment.
• Monitor policies and procedures to be in full compliance with federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements, timelines, and procedures.
• Develop policies and safeguards to ensure an inclusive, equitable, safe, and welcoming learning, living, and working environment. Ensure periodic review of campus climate and culture.
• Significant experience with Title IX or other highly-related initiatives in a comparably complex environment
• An advanced degree is preferred and a Bachelor's degree is required
• Demonstrated experience and understanding of equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Demonstrated experience in training and translating how to apply concepts of equity, diversity, and inclusion in a college environment
• A compassionate nature, listening skills, fairness, and the ability to build trust and work collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff
• Knowledge of and experience with issues related to gender based violence
• Ability to interpret state and federal equal opportunity, non-discrimination, and Title IX laws and regulations
• Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Well-developed interpersonal skills
• Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information
• Effective project management and analytical skills
• Ability to act independently, take initiative and exercise sound judgment
To be considered for this opportunity, please send all nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest, in confidence to:
Susan VanGilder, Partner
Kenna Boyd, Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel and Associates, LP
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.