Visual Resources Specialist
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a part-time Visual Resources Specialist to work in its Art and Art History Department. This position is responsible for maintaining and developing the Art & Art History Department's digital image collection, and supporting the use of digital media in teaching and research. In addition, this person provides integral departmental support for the teaching of Art & Art History.
This position will work approximately 17.75 hours a week.
• Curates, maintains and develops the Art & Art History Digital Image Collection
• Integrates diverse image source materials for optimal use in teaching and learning
• Maintains and develops image database software
• Initiates and supervises image acquisition, quality, description, and access
• Create and maintain data dictionary with set vocabulary for consistent searches
• API training
• Work with Gallery Curator to create a database of Macalester Art Collection
• Maintain a database, with permissions, of student and faculty artwork
• Provides teaching resources and materials for faculty upon request and classroom technology support
• Serves as a local resource for technical support and specialized questions in digital media
• Instructs students on digital media and projects
• Advertise VRL facilities, resources, and equipment to appropriate students
• Assists with the maintenance and purchases of classroom technology
• Provides support for the departmental web page and community outreach, including advertisements, posters, and social media
• Work with Library to coordinate training student workers
• Train advanced student workers to troubleshoot classroom needs or special tasks
• Train other departments in how to use the image collection
• Bachelor’s degree in Art and/or Art History required
• Minimum of 1 year of Visual Resource experience required
• Required experience with content management systems (CONTENTdm), Xcel, ArtStor, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and knowledge of digital scanning techniques and standards
• Experience with Macintosh and PC platforms required
• Proficiency in digital imaging best practices and metadata standards (Dublin Core/VRA Core)
• Basic knowledge of art history
• Ability to assess operations and workflow regularly
• Experience with supervising others and assigning tasks
• Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Excellent technical skills, with specific knowledge related to digital imaging and database management.
• Basic proficiency to be able to manage digital projectors, professional ink jet printers, digital cameras, computers, and other digital tools
• Ability to work creatively and effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Experience with budget management
• Flexibility to accommodate increased work volume during the academic year
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than August 16, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
This position is not eligible for benefits but has access to Macalester community benefits and discounts. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/.