Orange Coast College
Orange Coast College
Instructional Food Service Events Coordinator
Salary: $38,620.00 - $46,990.00 Annually
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.cccd.edu/employment. Please click on OPEN POSITIONS located in the menu bar on the left, then select your desired jobs category to access list of open positions.
Under the general direction of the assigned supervisor, performs a variety of activities involved in support of the Culinary Arts instructional program; coordinates and participates in the preparation and set up of special events District wide, as contracted with the Instructional Food Service Operations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work with students from the hospitality related instructional programs.
• Prepare and maintain instructional food services requisitions.
• Assist with menu development, maintain inventory of food and supplies, compute and update recipe costs.
• Place orders, enter requisitions/purchase orders utilizing current application and current form, purchase and receive all food and non-food supplies, as needed.
• Organize and evaluate accounting data including updating electronic files and data, coordinate cash distribution and collection, and prepare daily deposits.
• Organize and maintain storage areas and refrigeration in a clean and orderly manner using established procedures.
• Provide specialized service for clients related to special event marketing, booking, catering, menus and coordination of services.
• Effectively coordinate event planning and execution through all phases from set up to completion, including any troubleshooting of issues as they arise during event.
• Independently provide oversight of catered special event functions, as assigned.
• Coordinate and assist in the development of a staffing plan, equipment and supply needs and all set up activities as determined by the contracted event with client.
• Serve as the liaison between the client and Instructional Food Service Programs in the coordination and execution of the special event.
• Coordinate catering orders including menu confirmation, ordering, receiving, reviewing and processing of requisitions in connection with assigned special events.
• Liaison with event vendors such as entertainment (musicians, band, disc jockeys), guest speakers, presenters or others to ensure venue requirements.
• Ensure proper cleanup of supplies, equipment and debris following event.
• Provide assistance to staff, students, outside agencies and others concerning special events; respond to inquiries and provide detailed information concerning related standards, practices, services, facilities, set up, schedules, activities, policies and procedures.
• Communicate with personnel, outside agencies and the public to exchange information and resolve issues or concerns.
• Oversee and provide quality control throughout the special event planning and execution stages.
• Drive a vehicle to various locations to pick up and deliver a variety of supplies, materials, equipment.
• Ensure deliveries are correct and accurate as ordered by client and set up according to client terms and conditions as explained in contract.
• Maintain and track all related event correspondence and communications among staff, client, contracted outside vendors (including but not limited to: emails, orders, contracts, special requests/needs, venue requirements, proposals, menu plans, shipments, approvals, deliveries, etc.) as related to the contracted assigned activities and event.
• Coordinate and meet with client at event venue location to determine the event layout, seating/table arrangement, decorations, additional set up needs and any additional special requests as agreed upon in signed/approved contract.
• Calculate budgets and ensure they are adhered to and met.
• Coordinate with chefs and/or catering companies for preparation of food for the event.
• Meet with clients, chefs and/or catering companies to sample food items/suggestions and select dishes to be served, finalize menu options for event.
• Coordinate and monitor the event timelines established to ensure deadlines for event are met.
• Prepare proposal presentations for client/vendor meetings showcasing the offerings provided by the Orange Coast College Culinary Arts Division based on initial discussions and/or requests by potential, existing/returning clientele.
• Coordinate with client regarding District-wide promotion of event.
• Assist client with negotiation of event venues outside the Coast Colleges District facilities, as requested.
• Assist in maintaining and tracking the client invitation and RSVP lists, as requested.
• Coordinate event logistics, including participant registration, attendance tracking, presentation materials or inventory support needed as well as pre and post event evaluations.
• Maintain inventory of supplies such as backdrops, projectors, computers and other display equipment or materials.
• Work as a cashier on an as-needed basis.
• Serve as the event planner attends tradeshows to promote said activities
• Oversee and provide direction to volunteers or student workers.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Principles of customer services.
• Principles of event planning.
• Principles of wedding planning.
• Principles of food service operations.
• Hospitality programs curriculum.
• Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Internet Explorer in the normal course of work.
• Socio-economic, language, and cultural barriers affecting disadvantaged segments of the community.
• Coordinate and monitor multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff and volunteers.
• Work effectively independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision.
• Provide excellent customer service standards with a high expectation for quality and ethics.
• Utilize Microsoft Office programs for mail merge documents, email communication and information inquiries.
• Communicate effectively and persuasively. orally and in writing.
• Operate a variety of computers and specialized software.
• Train and provide work direction and guidance to other staff.
• Demonstrate and foster acceptance and respect for individual differences.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and vendors.
• Adapt to changing priorities and meet conflicting timelines.
• Operate modern Point of Sale registers.
• Enter requisitions and purchase orders for Instructional Food Service related Labs.
Education and Experience:
• An Associate degree or formal educational training in food services production, management, or culinary arts.
• Certified Serv Safe Manager Certification or equivalent.
• At least 5 years of experience in a food service position.
• Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the required qualification.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in food services production, management or culinary arts.
• At least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in office administration or lower level management.
• At least one-year experience in planning and coordinating special events.
Conditions of Employment
This is a regular, full-time, 10-month per year, classified position. 100% able to work a varied schedule - depending on event times and dates. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor.
Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Coast Community College District policies, procedures, and Title IX. (Reference: BP/AP 5910)
The Coast Community College District celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the District's strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer