Assistant Dean (Business)
We offer a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including: 30 days PTO, med/dental/vision plans, life/LTD/ADD insurance, retirement and tuition assistance.
This is the most exciting time to be working at University College at Azusa Pacific University! With our team of dedicated professionals and faculty, we are creating a new hope for the future by investing in lives through learning pathways that are Christ-centered, flexible and accessible.
If you want to join a dynamic, God-first culture that strives to provide quality academic programs to countless students, we welcome you to apply.
Be a part of this powerful campus of an already-prestigious university that offers flexibility and innovative delivery of education to learners everywhere.
If you have a passion for service, education and innovation, we’re interested in talking to you!
POSITION: Assistant Dean (Business)
APPOINTMENT: Full Time, Regular Status
LOCATION: San Dimas, CA
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Under the supervision of the Academic Dean, the Assistant Dean (AD) provides leadership and administrative oversight for academic programs to support quality instruction during six 8-week terms per academic year. This leadership position has year round accountabilities. (12 months) Responsibilities include operational oversight of various academic processes, academic programs, budget monitoring, assessment execution, curricular development, lecturer recruitment and logistics.
Teaching is not a requirement of this position. Any teaching will be through a separate adjunct faculty contract. As this is a full time senior management position, adjunct teaching is at the discretion of the CAO and may not exceed one course per session/6 courses per year.
The candidate for this position of Assistant Dean, will in addition to the requirements of the job description, provide programmatic and academic oversight of business degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In order to fulfill the specific job responsibilities as identified in the job description, the candidate will preferably have earned a terminal degree in the academic disciplines of business, management, or closely related disciplines.
Required Experience / Education
- Christian Commitment: Vital Christian faith and lifestyle
- Supportive of the evangelical mission and purpose of UC and the Azusa Pacific University System
- Doctoral candidate status
- Exceptional management, implementation, and administrative skills
- A demonstration of strategic thinking, planning, and innovation in an administrative academic leadership capacity
- Extensive knowledge of trends and future directions of instructional innovation in the adult learning environment, and its impact on regional accreditation, federal funding, and technological advances
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in a higher education institution
- A minimum of three years’ experience teaching in a higher education institution
- Ability to create and build strong collaborative relations with constituencies within and outside of University College Academic Affairs
- Budgetary oversight and authority
- Extensive experience in academic program development.
- Assistant Deans are also expected to have an interdisciplinary skill set, and may be asked to develop or oversee general studies core classes as directed by the CAO.
- Familiarity with Western Association of Schools and Colleges standards and procedures
- Capable of functioning expeditiously within a demanding, fast-paced environment
Desired Experience / Education
- Earned doctorate from a U.S. regionally accredited university
- Previous experience with online and face-to-face programs in a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- Proven administrative management within an institution of higher learning as evidenced by positions of increased responsibility
- Minimum of five years of experience in academic administration
- Minimum of five years’ experience teaching in a higher education institution
- Experience with an academic program relevant to University College Extensive involvement and awareness with Western Association of Schools and Colleges standards and procedures
- Learning Management System experience, preferable Moodle
- Provide administrative oversight over all academic policies within University College, promoting a positive image that promotes effective relationships relating to Academic Affairs, both within and outside of the university
- Supervise accuracy of University College catalog regarding Academic Affairs content
- Oversee curriculum design process as guided by Academic Dean
- Lead and maintain program and institutional accreditation in partnership with the Academic Dean and Accreditation Liaison Officer
- Keep abreast of trends and advances in nontraditional education, supporting the development of new program proposals
- Cultivate positive vendor relationships to enhance procurement of academic resources
- Collaborate with eLearning and the Registrar’s office to maintain the academic calendar, master course schedule, and other materials needed for a smooth, organized educational operation
- Assist the Academic Dean with monitoring of the academic budget
- Work with Admissions and Marketing personnel in the development and implementation of marketing and student recruiting strategies
- Provide support for all delivery modalities
- Help execute assessment activities, including course and program reviews, in cooperation with the Academic Dean and Assessment Committee.
- Participate as a committee member as appropriate
- Support lecturer development logistics.
- Work under the direction of the Chief Academic Officer to implement continuous improvement strategies within Academic Affairs.
- Organize Lecturer Development functions.
- Adjudicate academic student petitions.
- Participate in academic advisory committees tasked with evaluating and promoting programs at University College.
- Attend key student functions, such as Commencement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A positive, cooperative, Christ-like attitude supportive of the University and its mission
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, including the ability to organize, motivate, and work effectively with a diverse lecturer, staff, and student body
- Strong command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to plan and manage multiple projects concurrently in a timely manner
- Ability to supervise direct reports in accordance with University College policies
- Knowledge of standard budgeting and expenditure control procedures and documentation
- Skill in the use of personal computers and appropriate software applications
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a team-based, fast-paced atmosphere
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures in a complex university setting
- Ability to be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, and work with little supervision
- A “servant’s heart” that delights in providing the highest quality academic support services
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to investigate, analyze information, and draw conclusions
- Ability to engage in critical thinking, exercise independent judgment, set priorities, and solve problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
This position typically includes the following physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time
- Sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment
- Visual acuity to read words and numbers
- Speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate in person or over the telephone
- Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds
- List technology experience required/desired here
- GoogleApps / Gmail (desired)
- Office applications software—Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel (required)
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Azusa Pacific University College reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the University may deem appropriate.
Azusa Pacific University College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.