Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Academic CoordinatorPosition Summary
The Academic Coordinator's responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Plan and coordinate academic support for assigned student-athletes participating in 3-5 Olympic Sports to provide opportunities to maximize their use of University academic support resources.
Provide ongoing academic counseling, Big Ten Conference and NCAA continuing eligibility education and monitoring.
Maintain regular contact with student-athletes, coaches and university staff.
Develop and maintain a collegial relationship with MSU faculty and staff and instruct student-athletes on how to use SASS and campus academic support resources
Assign tutorial support and monitoring assigned student-athletes'.
Monitor course performance through inspection of professor progress reports and report appropriate information to coaches.
Provide informational orientations to prospective MSU student-athletes.
Manage case load written files, particularly documentation of course load planning and academic support rendered by SASS.
Assist the Director of Student-Athlete Development
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student-Athlete Support Services.
Masters -Counseling, Education or related fieldMinimum Requirements
- A masters degree in counseling, education or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years working in a Division I Intercollegiate Athletics program required.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations required.
- Candidate must have proven attention to detail (particularly with regard to maintaining accurate documentation concerning steps taken to assist student-athletes with resolving academic issues, and advice given to make progress toward an undergraduate degree at MSU) and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer technology designed for word processing and database management. Must be available to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
Experience successfully providing academic support to collegiate student-athletesRequired Application Materials