Admin Consultant/Analyst 1 - 9341A1
Academic Support Resources (ASR) is an academic and administrative unit that includes 235 employees across six major departments and reports to the Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education. The Associate Vice Provost and University Registrar (ASR Director), to whom this position reports, has far reaching responsibilities throughout the University, including all four system campuses. ASR is responsible for an annual $28M budget and oversight for $1B of students accounts (tuition and fees), $0.5B in student financial aid, 2M student contacts, 2.2M student registration transactions, and central management and scheduling of 325 classrooms and student study space, plus the management of selected enterprise level technology projects. The Associate Vice Provost and University Registrar supports and directs the functions of ASR’s six units: Office of the Registrar, Student Finance, One Stop Student Services, ASR IT, Classroom Management and Continuity and Compliance.
The Admin Consultant/Analyst 1 provides executive-level analysis, consultation and operational support to the Associate Vice Provost & Registrar (AVPR) on administrative matters. The Admin Consultant/Analyst 1 works independently and proactively to anticipate and support the needs of the AVPR and provides administrative oversight and project management duties supporting the ASR mission of making a positive difference in students’ lives.
This position manages the operation of and provides administrative leadership for the main ASR central operations, as well as provides additional support and administrative guidance for other ASR locations on the U of M Twin Cities campus and will work with the system campuses. The Admin Consultant/Analyst 1 uses his/her executive-level experience to develop and initiate program operations consistent with ASR strategy and business objectives. This position maintains and improves administrative systems; prepares reports, presentations, and correspondence; researches and responds to complicated and/or sensitive inquiries; and manages the complex AVPR’s schedule. They serve as a subject matter expert on relevant University policies and procedures to advance ASR goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Planning and Project Management: [65%]
- Ensure the AVPR Office functions efficiently and effectively through proactive problem resolution inclusive of technologies, processes, resources and people.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with University stakeholders (all campuses) and others to support the AVPR’s and ASR’s work.
- Plan and oversee execution of special projects for the AVPR, managing related staff and budget items
- Manage, respond to and prioritize the handling of inquiries, tracks and coordinates responses/resolutions to assure a high level of service
- Manage a complex calendar for AVPR for appointments, calls and meetings, and ensure all parties are prepared to meet with the AVPR.
- Prepare and analyze data and develop standard and custom reports such as audits, compliance-related documents, or other performance reporting.
- Draft executive-level correspondence.
- Research policies and practices of other colleges and universities worldwide
- Identify, develop and implement new ways of managing the operations of the office and ASR operations at large, in order to improve efficiencies and align with University and unit policies and procedures.
- Plan, lead and support ASR-wide events and large scale meetings system-wide.
- Provide outstanding customer service while maintaining confidentiality in sensitive situations
- Provide planning and project management support to ASR leadership
Administrative Duties: [20%]
- Research, compile and provide materials needed for meetings, calls and events.
- Develop and maintain administrative systems such as databases and electronic and paper filing systems for many compliance purposes
- Serve as a departmental primary contact and liaison for human resources matters, many of which may be confidential
Manage departmental on-boarding for new and transitioning employees
Office-wide Support: [15%]
- Serve as Department Facilities Coordinator to grant building access, report building issues and serve as a point person for ASR building projects.
- Manage overall office facilities and leads projects to implement space and equipment changes and moves.
- Manage procurement for office equipment, furniture & supplies
- Negotiate and administer contracts for services or goods and authorizes contracts payments
- Advise staff on travel policies and practices and assist as needed
- May hire and supervise student workers.
- Other duties as assigned
BA/BS with at least six years of experience
Two years of previous experience in a higher education environment, student services, or experience in other related areas
Demonstrated project management skills leading to successful implementation of complex efforts
Practical experience applying systems-level thinking across organizations
Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
Enthusiasm for contributing to a fast-paced work environment; and demonstrated ability to work well independently and in cooperation with colleagues in a service-oriented, collaborative setting.
Ability to be self-directed and work autonomously on a daily basis with the capability to manage multiple projects and collaborate with multiple constituents
Demonstrated ability to make complex decisions, solve problems, and practice hands-on management working across organizational processes
Able to maintain discretion and confidentiality
Computer skills including experience with Productivity tools like Microsoft Office or Google Suite
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
2+ years of experience providing administrative support to an executive-level manager
Experience researching and analyzing data
Able to synthesize information from a variety of sources to produce clear, accurate content.
Able to negotiate with vendors and other stakeholders
Demonstrated commitment to diversity
Familiarity with the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Google Suite experience