Yard Maintenance Mech Helper
Department Name Plant Operations
Campus or Location Eastern Campus
Vacancy Number 065-18
Reports To Supervisor
Recruitment Type External/Internal
Job Category Support Staff
Position Type Full-Time
Union Position Union
Number of Openings 1
Job Description Summary
Performs duties and otherwise assists in the care and maintenance of buildings and grounds at assigned locations.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• *Operates the necessary equipment used in mowing, fertilizing, spraying and snow removal
including, but not limited to, a front end loader and back hoe, MT trackless snow plow, dump truck,tractor, roller, power sprayer, cherry picker and air compressor hammer.
• Mowing, weed eradication, spraying, fertilizing, reseeding and watering of lawn.
• Maintenance and care of shrubs, hedges, trees and plantings.
• Transplanting of trees and shrubs and removal of same when necessary.
• Maintenance and repair of sidewalks, secondary roads, parking lots and athletic fields; makes repairs and/or replacements as necessary.
• *Maintains and performs minor equipment repairs. May repair small tools.
• Uses a welding and cutting torch for simple repairs.
• Paints curbs, crosswalk, posts, and marking lines in parking areas and athletic fields; and other painting duties as assigned.
• *Collects and disposes rubbish daily.
• Performs elementary carpentry, plumbing and other maintenance-related duties.
• Also performs elementary carpentry, plumbing and other maintenance related duties.
• Replaces floor tiles and lamps.
• May assemble and transport new furniture, equipment and supplies.
• Works under the direction of Maintenance Mechanic(s) as required.
• Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
• Demonstrates regular attendance.
• Accesses and utilizes College-prescribed software programs, including but not limited to training, email, payroll and maintenance management system.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
* denotes Essential Function
• High School diploma or GED.
• Two (2) years of work experience in the care and maintenance of grounds and the operation, repair and maintenance of grounds keeping equipment.
• Ability to perform elementary work in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting and welding.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to properly use related equipment.
• Ability to read and follow detailed work and safety instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
• Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
• Valid Ohio Driver's license.
• Must be able to meet College insurability requirements.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
• Associate's degree in a job-related field.
• Experience with electronic work order system.
• Understanding/experience with quality programs and initiatives.
• Experience in pruning, landscaping, maintaining athletic fields and snow plowing.
• Pesticide licensure.
• Trade licensure or certification.
• LTO (Lift-Truck-Operator) license.
• Ability to perform work in welding.
Sunday - Thursday
April through October, 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
November through March, 11:00 a.m. through 7:30 p.m.
Target Hiring Rate/Salary 43,638.40
This is a AFSCME Bargaining Unit position, Grade 4. AFSCME bargaining unit employees at Cuyahoga Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Posting Open Date 08/08/2017
Posting Close Date 08/22/2017
Open Until Filled No
Affirmative Action Statement
Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently an employee with Cuyahoga Community College and a member of the AFSCME Bargaining Unit?
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter