Software Engineer - Applied Research Institute (A1700489)
The Illinois Applied Research Institute (ARI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has openings for software engineers to support research projects in medical imaging or digital manufacturing by contributing to the development of complex software systems from design through test and validation. These positions are full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional positions appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible, based on the business needs of the organization. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
ARI's mission is to provide rapid, cost-effective solutions for industry and federal clients. From the beginning, our vision has been to create a new model for a university-based laboratory. With a sharp focus on maturation and validation of technologies before they leave the laboratory, ARI currently focuses on the following technical thrusts: Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering Design and Simulation, Indoor Climate Research and Training, Information Processing and Systems, and Visual Analytics for Precision Medicine. More information is available at http://www.appliedresearch.illinois.edu/.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Medical Imaging - Develop a common framework that streamlines data collection and analysis from disparate medical imaging modalities and accelerates data classification.
- Digital Manufacturing - Design and implement two critical components of a cyber-physical manufacturing network: (a) an operating system, with network interfaces, capable of rapidly integrating a set of physically isolated manufacturing resources and (b) a network support tool for administering the network.
- Provide support to research projects by gathering and analyzing software requirements and investigate optimal software solutions
- Collaborate with a cross-functional software development team to architect, design, implement, and test those solutions
- Conduct and document software testing to evaluate software robustness, identify bugs and defects, and verify requirements gaps
- Write detailed supporting documentation including software requirements specification, system architecture specification, operational requirements specification, and user interface specification
- Prepare activity reports to monitor progress and track the status of the projects
- Assume additional appropriate related software engineer duties to further the mission of the institute
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering with 1-3 years of industry experience or an advanced degree with at least one year of industry experience. Alternate degree fields will be considered if accompanied by equivalent experience
- Solid Computer Science foundation in data structures and algorithms, object-oriented programming (OOP), and modern software engineering practices
- Demonstrated proficiency with C++, Java, Python, Matlab or other programming language
- Demonstrated experience debugging and testing software systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills
Minimum Requirements Specific to Each Project
- Medical Imaging: Experience working with Linux or Embedded-Linux, Matlab and scientific computing
- Digital Manufacturing: Experience working with networking protocols stacks, cloud-based software development environment, and web services
- Three to five years of industry experience
- Experience working with open source applications and frameworks
- Experience with agile software development
- Experience with version control systems (GIT, P4, ClearCase, etc.), bug tracking systems (Jira, Bugzilla, GitHub, etc.)
- Experience with cloud computing or other distributed programming environments
- Experience with database programming
- Experience working with machine learning algorithms to solve classification and clustering problems, perform information retrieval from unstructured and semi-structured data, and build supervised and semi-supervised learning solutions
- Experience with big data and analytics
- Eligibility to obtain security clearance (requires U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status)
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by August 22, 2017. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date and early applications are encouraged; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Summer Redman at email@example.com or 217-300-5400.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Software Engineer - Applied Research Institute (A1700489)
Open Date: 08/08/2017
Close Date: 08/22/2017
Organization Name: Applied Research Institute