Director of Student Affairs
Report to: Provost
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2006 and currently offer 4 undergraduate academic majors and a MA and MBA programs. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy, and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young, dynamic university with a student population of above 1000 students. Construction has recently begun on a new 75 acre international campus.
AUAF is seeking a qualified candidate for the position “Director of Student Affairs” to begin in September 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Student Affairs.
- Provides leadership, analysis and advice in relation to policies and procedures regarding students and services for students,
- Oversee First Year Experience Program including New Student Orientation, peer mentoring programs for freshmen and US Embassy scholarship recipients, and student advising.
- Teach one University Success class (UNV 100) per regular semester, a required 1 credit hour undergraduate course.
- Serve as an academic advisor for freshmen students.
- Oversee the development and implementation of student engagement plan to provide a diverse range of activities to enrich the student experience on campus.
- Encourage and foster the development of student organizations and oversee the organization recognition process.
- Serve as advisor and oversee elections for the Student Government Association.
- Oversee the Michele Bayat gymnasium and student sport activities.
- Develop and oversee programming regarding university code of conduct, particularly academic integrity.
- Investigate and lead adjudication of student code of conduct violations and maintain student disciplinary/conduct records.
- Oversee student housing policies, operations, and educational programs.
- Oversee the mental health counseling services for students.
- Oversee university career services, including career fairs, career development workshops, etc.
- Coordinate and centralize opportunities for student internships with government ministries and international NGOs and aid agencies.
- Oversee the process of recruiting students for work study position in coordination with the Student Finance Office.
- Facilitate and coordinate information flows between the Office of Admissions, the Registrar, University Procurement Office, and the Finance Office.
- Assist with university wide events such as the graduation ceremony.
- Serve on University Committees, including but not limited to the Financial Aid Committee.
- Assist with student affairs related areas of the University’s Self-Study in preparation for accreditation.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Development/Personnel, or related field required. A Ph.D. degree in the aforementioned fields is preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible duties within student affairs administration, international experience preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience of personnel, budgets and policy creation and implementation.
- Familiarity with CAS Standards.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate their ability to adapt professional practices to best fit the need of Afghan learners as well as flexibility to deal with living and working conditions in a developing, post-conflict society.
- Ability and willingness to work with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds and diverse political views while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
- Ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid health care insurance.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Student Affairs” in the subject line of the email.