Part-Time Human Resource Generalist
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a part-time Human Resource Generalist to who has a positive attitude, strong work ethic and excellent critical thinking skills.
The part-time Human Resource Generalist is accountable for maintaining confidentiality of all communications, correspondence and records pertaining to the essential job duties. This position reports directly to the Director of Human Resources. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Greet and assist internal and external customers.
• Performs customer service functions by answering all phone inquiries.
• Manages all background checks and reference checks for new hires.
• Completes on-boarding and orientation with all new student workers, adjunct faculty, part-time staff employees, etc.
• Completes I-9 documentation using E-Verify.
• Creates and manages job postings, conducts phone interviews, EEOC Reporting & applicant listing.
• Responsible for managing applicant tracking system (ATS) and resolving all technical issues with the help of the ATS support services department.
• Processes internal workflows for employee new hires and terminations.
• Maintains general employee personnel, medical, workers compensation and unemployment files.
• Responsible for monitoring and reconciling all employee’s monthly vacation and leave reporting.
• Prepares, disperses and tracks completion of annual personnel evaluations of all departments.
• Reconcile the department purchasing credit card each month.
• Responsible for administering and implementing company personnel policies and programs, including vacation, compensation time, leave reports, etc.
• Compiles and completes documents for data entry into the Banner system.
• Completes all employment verification and reference requests of current and former employees.
• Complete HR related surveys for HR associations such as CUPA-HR, SHRM, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• An Associate’s Degree in Human Resource Management or related field with at least 6 months of experience in HR.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or related field with at least 2 years of experience in HR.
• Experience with PeopleAdmin and Banner is a plus.
• Human Resources practices.
• Discretion and confidentiality
• Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Accurate keyboard skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel)
• Front desk/office organizational skills
• Critical thinking skills and the urge to always ask why and fully understand the task being completed and why.
• Effective interviewing skills
• Organization and teamwork
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review material for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Posting Number 20110589
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have an Associate's Degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents