Assistant to the Chair, Electrical Engineering
Requisition # 2017-7861
Department Electrical Engineering
Category Administrative Support
Date Posted 8/8/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Department of Electrical Engineering is seeking an Assistant to the Chair to provide high level administrative support to the Chair. The position reports to the Chair and the Department Manager and serves as one of the key contacts for administrative issues in the Department office. The incumbent manages the process for faculty recruitment, appointment and promotion, and ensures all documents for the Dean of the Faculty appointments are submitted accurately and timely. The position supports the Chair by coordinating meetings and keeping her/his calendar, collecting and disseminating information, preparing reports, maintaining records and completing special projects as assigned.
- Manage Chair's calendar, monitor and maintain mail and files, make travel arrangements.
- Monitor Dean of the Faculty deadlines for various requirements as it relates to the department.
- Coordinate faculty reappointments and promotions including preparation of time-line, gather and distribute relevant documents and prepare files for submission.
- Manage the faculty search application process, which includes placement of advertisements, coordinate candidate visits, handle correspondence, schedule meetings for interviews, search committee and faculty discussions, maintain faculty search website, process expense vouchers for candidates and track total expenditures.
- Coordinate faculty salary review including requests for activity reports and CVs, monitor due date and prepare forms for submission.
- Assists in faculty awards process including monitor due dates, request recommendation letters, gather necessary information and assemble package for submission.
- Coordinate and attend weekly faculty meetings and annual retreat including organizing meeting schedule, prepare agenda, record and distribute meeting minutes.
- Manage all aspects of non-faculty Dean of the Faculty appointments including reappointments and terminations.
- Supervise one part-time support staff.
- Manage space allocation for post docs, researchers and visitors.
- Update and monitor EE website regarding information on faculty, visitors, post relevant news and special events.
- Coordinate and publish departmental newsletter (3 times/year) which includes articles of news/events and photos. Duties include creating a draft, managing distribution calendar and list of recipients.
- Coordinate and prepare draft of annual President's Report with input from the EE graduate and undergraduate coordinators.
- Arrange annual Advisory Council visit including coordination of meetings; prepare draft of Council Review book, handle appointment of council members, correspondence and related logistics.
- Coordinate departmental events including but not limited to annual holiday party, fall welcome-back social and any ad hoc events.
- Manage seminar schedule and coordination of departmental funded seminars through the Colloquium Series.
- Coordinate and track summer students in the department.
- Assist Department Manager in projects and duties as needed, including
- Manage Department Manager's calendar.
- Help with facility related tasks and renovations, facility emergencies, office moves and set up, communications and follow up on facility alerts, place and follow-up on service work orders.
- Coordinate salary planning for Professional Specialists and Researchers.
- Coordinate Conflict of Interest reporting for faculty and professional specialists/researchers.
- Maintain departmental policies and procedures including but not limited to administrative procedures for staff, Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP), Emergency Action Plan, building policies, seminars etc.
- Serve as key coordinator for department.
- Work with other colleagues in the department as a team and provide coverage when possible.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably within an institution of higher education or organization in an executive setting
- Excellent judgment and organizational skills, with attention to details, accuracy and follow-ups in meeting deadlines
- Superb interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills dealing with a wide range of constituents including University Deans and key administrators, faculty, staff members, alumni, students and visitors
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrate the highest level of professionalism in welcoming and assisting all constituents
- Proactive and exceptional problem-solving skills
- Discretion in handling confidential information
- A great team player
- Supervisory experience
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Concur
- Technically astute in learning various software systems (e.g. Drupal, email marketing tool e.g. Constant Contact) and maintaining website
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.