Casual Hourly - Medical Assistant
Requisition # 2017-7849
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Date Posted 8/8/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 8/31/2017
Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible professional to serve as a per-diem Medical Assistant in their fast paced Outpatient Medical Clinic.
The Medical Assistants work under the direct supervision of a physician or other licensed health-care provider, offering administrative and support services directly related to patient care. MAs work closely with the PCP(s) and the Triage Nurse(s) to manage patient flow and ensure providers have the information and tools they need to provide the desired level of care.
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS's mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University's purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS's values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff's diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
Clinical Care (50%)
- Perform patient intake
- Collect and record patient data (vital signs, height, weight, etc.)
- Room patients and prepare them for exams & procedures
- Set up patient care equipment
- Apply certain orthopedic appliances (knee immobilizers, slings, etc.)
- Document medications and allergies
- Provide patient education (crutch training, etc.)
- Performs CLIA waived testing such as, urine dip tests, Strep screens, Flu tests and Pregnancy tests.
- Assign patients to healthcare providers
- Manage patient flow throughout the clinic
- Perform EKGs
- Coordinate referrals and follow-up care
- Provide discharge planning
- Refer patients to the Triage Nurse for triaging
- Assists with sports physicals for incoming freshman students
- Responds to and assists in management of emergency situations
- Other duties within the scope of their practice under NJ state law, as delegated by the PCP or RN
- Exam Rooms: Responsible for daily stocking and maintenance of exam rooms; Maintains accurate listing of supplies to be replenished as well as knowledge of medical supplies and instruments
- Medical Supplies: Maintains inventory of clinic supply closet, athletic braces and casting materials; Monitors clinic equipment, e.g., microscope, oxygen tank, Cryo gun, etc.
Administrative Support (10%)
- Receives patients, files medical records and lab slips, makes photocopies of reports and health education materials; and assists in the preparation of records for all incoming students
- Has thorough knowledge of system and administrative procedures of the clinic
- Schedules appointments, including referral appointments
- High School Graduate
- Certified Medical Assistant - must be certified (CMA) or registered (RMA)
- At least one to two years of relevant experience
- Must have knowledge of medical supplies, equipment and procedures
- Computer proficient
- Have the ability to work with all levels of the organization
- CPR/AED certification
- Rooming and flow management experience
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
dau shift, per-diem
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.