JOB NO.: 91628-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Research, Scientific
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91628-AS
Working Title: Assistant Scientist
Official Title: ASSISTANT SCIENTIST(E10LN)
Hiring Department: A561000-SCHOOL OF PHARMACY/PHARMACY
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 10, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $40,861 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
PhD in Biological Sciences is required. Area of expertise in bacteriology or medical microbiology / immunology is preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Post Doctoral experience in a research laboratory is required. Research expertise in the following areas is preferred: advanced molecular biology techniques, microbiology, pharmacology, immunology, and/or biochemistry. Experience and competency in identifying research problems, presentation of data and preparation of manuscripts is required.
The Assistant Scientist position will perform experiments focused on antimicrobial resistance, antibacterial drug discovery, and immunology. This position will collaborate with principal investigators in the Divisions of Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Sciences with focuses on microbiology, drug discovery, and immunology.
The principal duties include:
- Analyze drug resistance mechanisms using a variety of molecular and biochemical techniques
- Characterize mechanisms of action of antimicrobial agents
- Function independently, under the supervision of a divisional PI, to design experiments, develop new research techniques, and troubleshoot laboratory issues.
- Provide scientific supervision, coordination and execution of current and future laboratory research projects.
- Assist with grant writing
- Supervise and mentor laboratory personnel ranging from undergraduate and graduate students to postdoctoral fellows
- Identify, initiate and develop new research projects and collaborations.
- Present research findings locally, nationally, and internationally
This position is directly supervised by an Associate Professor (CHS) in the Dvision of Pharmacy Practice. This individual will coordinate research activities, experimental oversight, and the development of new research initiatives. This position will also have opportunity to initiate independent research, under the guidance of a divisional investigator, and apply for extramural funding on behalf of the School.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click the Apply Online button to begin the application process. To apply for this job, please upload a cover letter and resume/CV.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 08 Aug 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 5 Sep 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time