Associate Development Engineer
8AM - 5PM
$60,100 - $74,700
The purpose of this position is to provide engineering support for research and teaching. The support includes, but is not limited to: working closely with faculty, staff, and graduate students on the design, fabrication and testing of scientific laboratory research apparatus, instrumentation, systems and processes utilizing solid modeling and other computer based engineering modeling and design programs. Additionally, engages in the repair of teaching and research equipment.
Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Working knowledge necessary to begin independent application of principles, practices and procedures in the completion of assignments.
Working knowledge of engineering principles and methods in order to independently perform professional engineering design work of limited scope and complexity.
Ability to work in a collaborative manner, to assist in identifying any challenges or barriers.
Organizational abilities and decision-making to prioritize work assignments.
Must have own machinist tools.
Hands on knowledge of scientific research design, fabrication/construction and testing techniques to construct scientific laboratory research apparatus, instruments, devices, systems and processes which may have to withstand extremes of pressure, temperature and various stresses and strains. Programming ability utilizing solid modeling and other engineering and mathematical design programs and CAD/CAM programs (i.e. CATIA, Pro/Engineer Unigraphics, SRDC).
Specialization in design and fabrication and testing of various complex scientific laboratory research apparatus, devices, instrumentation, systems and processes involving Microfabrication machining.Working knowledge of materials used to design, fabricate and test scientific laboratory apparatus, instruments, devices and processes, i.e. hardness, weld ability, grade, machine ability and other similar factors.
Skills in manual machines. Experience in working with close tolerance such as +/-0.0005 for mills, lathes and surface grinders. Able to troubleshoot and perform maintenance of machine tools. Ability to program simple parts at the machine control. Knowledge of techniques and procedures for handling large varieties of materials. Excellent interpersonal skills.
Batchelor's Degree in the area of engineering and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and ability to express information, ideas and instructions in the training sessions on the safety and use of machine tool equipment.
Trade School or Machinist Apprenticeship Certiificate
Strong CNC programming
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview