Public Safety Officer
The Stevens Institute of Technology is seeking individuals to serve as civilian Public Safety Officers (PSO) in a part time capacity (approximately 24 hours per week) for a limited time period. The PSO is a fixed-term position and will serve as pedestrian and traffic safety officers during a major campus construction project that is estimated to last two (2) years. PSO's report directly to the Campus Police Department and are at-will part time employees who are paid an hourly wage with no additional benefits.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, safety-minded, honest and trustworthy, physically fit to endure the rigors of working outdoors in cold, hot and inclement weather and being on their feet for long intervals, have a friendly demeanor, read, write and speak English clearly and articulately, and must be flexible to change schedules as needed in order to accommodate the needs of the construction project.
Public Safety Officers duties include but not limited to the following:
- Directing vehicular traffic including large delivery trucks and construction equipment
- Directing pedestrian traffic
- Operating vehicles including Low Speed Vehicles
- Operating hand-held radios and communicate clearly with police officers and dispatchers
- Moving traffic barricades and cones
- Maintaining a safe campus environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors
- Respond to information requests from students, faculty, staff, and visitors in courteous manner
- Prepare written incident reports when necessary
- The ability to take direction from police personnel and construction supervisors
- Current NJ Resident
- Minimum one year experience in military, police or security field
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid New Jersey drivers license and good driving record
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Good writing skills for incident report preparation
- Note: Candidates are subject to a criminal background check
- Provide references for past job performance
- Must successfully pass the NJ Department of Transportation Approved Flagger Certification Program (4 hour training program on-line)
- *Note: Those candidates already certified preferred, however, employer is willing to provide training and cost. Employment conditional on successful completion. See below link for more information https://onlineflagger.com/nj-page/
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, climb, lift objects (traffic cones and barricades), reach, talk, listen, write and read.
Campus Police Field Office (JM)
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police