Lab Instructional Assistant - Chemistry
Orange Coast College
Lab Instructional Assistant - Chemistry
Salary: $43,739.86 - $53,184.94
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.cccd.edu/employment. Please click on OPEN POSITIONS located in the menu bar on the left, then select your desired jobs category to access list of open positions.
Under general supervision of the Dean, assists instructors of Chemistry classes in the preparation and operation of teaching laboratories and maintenance of laboratory chemicals, equipment, and stockrooms; prepares solutions, chemical reagents, unknown samples, and equipment for the teaching laboratories; stocks chemicals and equipment; maintains and updates chemical data base and inventory; arranges for disposal of hazardous waste in accordance with the health and safety regulations; performs related work as required. This position provides instructional support for Chemistry classes and labs requiring technical competence in basic math and chemistry, use of instructional equipment and software, and basic academic skills. Please note that the responsibilities for this position do not involve any teaching duties in the classroom.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist in laboratory preparations for all chemistry classes.
• Organize and restock chemicals, supplies, and equipment in the teaching laboratories.
• Prepare chemical solutions for use in the laboratories and stockroom.
• Set up specialized instruments, equipment, and demonstrations.
• Perform simple maintenance and calibration of various instruments, including electronic balances, pH meters, UV/VIS spectrophotometers, gas chromatographs, and FT infrared spectrometers.
• Maintain specialized instruments and equipment in good operational condition.
• Exercise personal initiative to prioritize and schedule work to ensure that instructional materials are ready when needed and all duties are executed in a timely fashion.
• Perform assigned tasks independently without immediate supervision.
• Issue equipment and supplies to students, and monitor their return at the end of laboratory periods.
• Assist in the preparation of equipment and supply budget and provide lists of equipment costs to department, when requested.
• Use current technology to track department equipment, chemical, and supply inventories.
• Clean and stock glass wear and equipment, chemicals, and supplies in student instructional areas; wash and store labware.
• Follow all health and safety regulations and ensure students are aware of such regulations.
• Provide information on resources available to students.
• Keep records and documentation on equipment, instruments and supplies necessary for the lab and.
• Demonstrate and maintain a check on safety procedures and equipment in the laboratory.
• Direct students in emergency procedures and observe/enforce laboratory rules.
• Demonstrate or describe the proper operation of equipment, instruments and supplies used in lab work.
• Make minor repairs and adjustments to laboratory related equipment.
• Perform general clerical duties related to the maintenance and efficiency of laboratory instructional areas.
• Use and store chemicals and equipment, in compliance with OSHA regulations.
• Consult with vendors regarding supplies, materials and equipment needs.
• Work cooperatively with supervisor, faculty, and staff during the course of work.
• Perform other related work as required.
• Basic math such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and knowledge of basic college level inorganic and organic chemistry to be able to do calculations to prepare chemicals, knowing the amounts of chemicals required and the calculations necessary for chemical equipment use.
• Supplies and equipment used in chemistry laboratories and record keeping consistent with inventory control.
• Proper laboratory techniques for preparation, testing, and storage of solutions.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Basic math.
• Simple record keeping
• Proper methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the assigned learning laboratory.
• Appropriate safety precautions and procedures as they apply to chemical laboratories, mixing chemicals, and waste disposal, in compliance with OSHA regulations and District Health and Safety procedures.
• Properly set up all chemistry laboratories, including chemical preparations, equipment maintenance, etc.
• Operate and perform minor routine maintenance to chemistry equipment.
• Use current and applicable technology to perform specific tasks.
• Compose correspondence.
• Maintain chemicals and dispose of waste according to procedures specified by District Health and Safety.
• Perform basic math and chemistry calculations.
• Maintain simple, accurate records.
• Maintain chemical inventory on computer in compliance with the Office of Health and Safety.
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Plan and organize workload to ensure laboratories are available and operational according to schedule.
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work and be flexible to changing situations and needs.
• Education and Experience:
• Two years of college level course work in chemistry or the equivalent (must include inorganic and organic chemistry classes).
• Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the required qualifications.
Two years' experience in an instructional setting as a lab technician or in a similar position.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full time, 12 month per year position. The normal hours of work are to be arranged between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer