10003469 Academic Technology Specialist
Academic Technology Specialist
Information and Technology Systems Department
The Graduate School
Largo, MD, Exempt, Regular, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Academic Technology Specialist in The Graduate School’s Information Technology Systems (ITS) Department.
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Under the supervision of the Director of UMUC Virtual Labs, the Academic Technology Specialist is responsible for the operational and strategic oversight of the academic technology in the ITS department. The Specialist collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to identify and successfully implement technology solutions – including tools and software applications – for the various programs in the department.
Required Skills Include:
- Assisting in all technical issues related to seamless integration of technology in the curriculum, performing tests and collect data, advising the IT department of issues, and investigating and proposing solutions
- Overseeing testing of newly developed labs by the Lab Assistants
- Working with the appropriate personnel to provide operational support which includes, communication and training for the process and the ticketing system
- Addressing technical issues escalation from Lab Assistants, technical support staff and program chairs
- Utilizing Salesforce to setup and administer the ticketing process
- Partnering with lab assistants and program chairs to ensure that all documentation related to labs – instructions, manuals, tutorials – are current and updated for each term
- Engaging regularly with relevant units to ensure clear understanding of requirements and proposed solutions
- Attending conferences/workshops as needed for professional development in support of the job responsibilities
- Other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning
- At least 2 years of similar work experience, preferably in a similar position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of virtualization, system administration, networking, server and storage management, database management, and lab management
- The position requires excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree preferred
- Relevant certifications: Microsoft certification (e.g., MCITP, MCSA, MCSE, MCSM, MCDBA), CCTP (Certified Cloud Technology Professional), VMware VCP6, AWS-CSA Professional, Certified Data Management Professional, Oracle Professional, IBM Professional
- Prior experience in distance education is preferred
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE