Title IX Investigator
Boston Main Campus
Reports to the Assistant Vice President for Title IX Initiatives/Title IX Coordinator within the Office for Gender Equity and Compliance.
The Title IX Investigator is primarily responsible for the prompt, impartial and thorough investigation of Title IX Prohibited Offenses including sex and gender-based discrimination, sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship or domestic violence, and stalking.
Responsible for collecting the relevant facts related to the reported Title IX incident and, in collaboration with the Title IX Coordinator, assess the steps necessary in order to protect the health and well-being of the impacted student and the safety of the community.
Maintains a thorough and well-documented investigative process by gathering and documenting evidentiary material. Maintains accurate and thorough records and notes of investigatory process. Develops comprehensive, unbiased written reports for the Title IX coordinator and adjudication boards.
Analyzes and logically comes to conclusions and investigative outcomes.
Serves as a point of contact for those seeking information or wanting to report misconduct.
Acts as a neutral party through all aspects of an investigation and ensures a fair and neutral process for all parties involved.
Advises all parties of their rights.
Provides resource referrals to students who could benefit from additional support during the investigation.
Assists in the maintenance of the database used to track Title IX complaints.
Assists with generating reports and recommending revision to relevant policies and procedures.
Establishes timely communication with all parties.
Maintains a high level of confidentiality and privacy on all office and investigation proceedings.
Communicates and consults regularly with the Title IX Coordinator on updates regarding the status of complaints received and investigations in progress.
Works collaboratively with key partners in the University community to investigate and resolve complaints filed under Title IX, including but not limited to, the Office of General Counsel, Office of the Provost, Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, and the Northeastern University Police Department.
Facilitates training and educational programs for faculty, staff and students regarding the University's Title IX policies, processes and procedures, including all orientation programming.
Will keep apprised of new developments and best practices in the fields of Title IX investigations, Title IX, the Clery Act, and other relevant federal and state legislation and regulations.
Performing other duties as assigned.
• The employee will have demonstrated experience conducting investigations, managing confidential information, conducting trainings, and independently and efficiently managing a significant caseload.
• At least two years of recent, substantive work experience with Title IX investigations or conducting investigations in a higher education setting. Background and training in conducting sensitive and confidential investigations preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion, superior judgment and neutrality in highly sensitive situations involving investigations of alleged sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking and relationship or domestic violence.
• Knowledge of the federal and state laws pertaining to sex and gender based-discrimination and harassment as they apply to colleges and universities.
• Tact, maturity and strong interpersonal, oral and written skills are required.
• Experience in and awareness of the sensitivity required when interacting with and addressing the needs of a diverse community on sensitive issues.
• Skill in communicating with various levels of the university and ability to foster positive interactions within the community.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Student Affairs, higher education administration, law enforcement, criminology, social work, psychology, or related field required. Advanced degree in related fields preferred such as J.D.
• Ability to work weekends and evenings and travel (when necessary).
This position requires a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.