EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE DEAN
Duties: The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) is the academic foundation of the University of Pennsylvania, providing liberal arts education for all Penn undergraduates and supporting graduate studies and research across the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. The Dean of SAS provides broad leadership for the School's academic departments, education programs, research centers, and operations, working closely with eight associate/vice deans to oversee an organization with nearly 2,000 faculty and staff and 10,000 students.
The Executive Assistant to the Dean has primary responsibility for providing high-level administrative support to the Dean and plays a central and critical role in ensuring the smooth and efficient functioning of the Dean's schedule. Duties include:
* Manage short- and long-term calendar planning, exercising considerable independent judgment about multiple demands on the Dean's time and coordinating planning among the executive assistants of the School's leadership team and others. Troubleshoot and resolve scheduling conflicts, and communicate final schedule to the Dean.
* Compile background material for meetings in a timely manner; conduct background research and compile data, statistics and other necessary information.
* Manage travel arrangements, act as liaison to coordinate and confirm itineraries, and communicate the information to all necessary parties; use Concur to manage reimbursements.
* Assist internal and external constituents with inquiries on behalf of Dean. Identify issues requiring the Dean's direct attention and re-direct others that can be addressed or facilitated by others on the Dean's behalf. When appropriate, follow up with all responsible parties to ensure resolution of inquiries.
* Assist the Assistant Dean/chief of staff with office management, overseeing key processes among support staff and major office facilities issues. Suggest improvements to existing processes and procedures and take charge of implementing improvements as necessary.
* Draft letters and other short texts for the Dean in a manner consistent with the tone and messaging of overall routine correspondence; independently prepare a wide range of documents.
* Coordinate Dean's office special projects, meetings, and events as assigned.
* Maintain records and manage Dean's mail; manage tickler file and bring timely issues to the Dean with ample time to manage each request.
* Provide back-up support for other office functions as needed.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years progressively responsible experience in executive assistant or comparable administrative positions or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in support of senior-level leadership preferred.
Ability to work both independently and as part of a close-working team in a fast-paced, executive-level setting requiring initiative, strong organization, flexibility, and the prioritization of multiple demands. Thorough knowledge of office procedures. Ability to take broad view of existing procedures to determine what is working efficiently and what issues need attention and to implement improvements. Outstanding oral and written communication skills; ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and judgment in interacting with a wide range of constituents at varying levels of an organization.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Outlook calendar programs required. Ability to query databases and use web content management systems preferred. Willingness to learn and apply new technologies as needed.
Strong attention to detail. Demonstrated experience in handling confidential information with discretion.
Knowledge of Penn or experience in a university setting strongly preferred.
Reference Number: 02-26452
Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: SAS Dean
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: A-General/Professional Administrative