ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR STUDENT PROGRAMS
Duties: The Penn Wharton Public Policy Initiative (PPI), with offices both at the University of Pennsylvania and in Washington, DC, seeks to expand opportunities for Penn students to explore public policy as an area of academic and career interest. To that end, the Associate Director for Student Programs will:
(1) Manage the Public Policy Research Scholars (PPRS) program, including sitting on the application review committee, advising all students in the program, providing administrative support for the PPRS senior capstone course, and helping to administer PPRS events;
(2) Oversee the PPI Student Group, including managing the student governing board, overseeing and editing the student blog, and helping students launch an annual journal featuring student research;
(3) Serve as a liaison to policy-focused student clubs on campus;
(4) Assist with organizing and running two annual activities: a public policy case competition and a DC 'industry exploration program'; and
(5) Support Penn Wharton PPI's efforts to develop and fund summer internship opportunities in DC for Penn students.
This is a 10-month per year position (Aug 15-Jun 15), located on the University of Pennsylvania campus, and reports to the Penn Wharton PPI Managing Director.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree and 3 years to 5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required. Must demonstrate an affinity for the study of public policy. Previous experience working in Washington, DC in a policy-related role, and general knowledge of how Washington works, are highly desirable. Experience providing direct service to college students, as well as strong team-building and event-management skills, and excellent writing and verbal communication skills, are all essential. Must be able to carry projects to completion with limited supervision. Some occasional evening work required, to participate in student programming.
Reference Number: 07-26505
Salary Grade: LIM/ 26
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Wharton Initiative for Public Policy
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: Z-Non-Classified Staff/Non-Unionized Job Grades