Working Title: Android/Java Developer
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Center for Diabetes Technology
Posting Date: 08-07-2017
The Center for Diabetes Technology at the University of Virginia seeks an Android/Java Developer to join its team. The incumbent is responsible for assisting in the design, development, documentation, testing and maintenance of software programs in Java, Python and other languages to support clinical research at the center, including the implementation of novel treatment strategies onto mobile platform (Android), e.g. artificial pancreas systems. This position requires incumbent to analyze, troubleshoot and repair computer hardware and software, analyze new services and technologies and make recommendations and think creatively to complete projects with aggressive timeframes. The incumbent must be able to work effectively within a team, work under pressure,
meet deadlines, and manage time effectively.
This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field and 3 years of relevant software engineering experience including experience with Android, MySQL or SQLite databases. Skills obtained during coursework may be considered in lieu of work experience.(Medical/Clinical education and experience will not be considered). If no Bachelor's Degree, candidates must have equivalent relevant professional experience.
This position is restricted and contingent upon availability of funds.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) ANDROID DEVELOPMENT: Upkeep of existing apps used in clinical trials, minor updates to Android-OS (AOSP), recommendations for new technologies and direction.
2) DATABASES: Good fundamentals of relational database schema design, data normalization, and SQL queries.
3) BEST CODING PRACTICES: source code version-control, software versioning, development of ticketing systems.
4) SUPPORT: Ability to analyze, troubleshoot, diagnose and repair hardware and software issues.
5) OWNERSHIP: Ability to work within a team, but also self-manage time, multitask, and work with aggressive schedules.
6) TRAVEL: Ability to travel to domestic and international sites as needed.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82481