On Call Customer Attendant / Short-Order Cook
Posting Number: 0001691
Job Title: On Call Customer Attendant / Short-Order Cook
Department: Dining Services
Position Status: Full-Time
Position Type: Temporary
Months per Year: Other
Work Hours: by operational needs
Start Date (For temporary positions only):
End Date (For temporary positions only):
Position band/level: Union
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: SUMMARY
Prepare, cook, serve and clean work and dining areas and other duties as described below or as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned within classification.
1. Assist with setup, serving, and cleaning of any station as assigned
2. Take, prepare, and serve orders for patrons
3. Responsible for stir-frying, sauting, baking pizza, breads, convenience baked goods, cookies, carving, slicing deli items; grilling and frying raw proteins as required for assigned station (e.g. hamburgers, chicken breast/fingers, pork chops etc.)
4. Heat items for daily specials. Items will be either prepared by a cook and ready to heat or will be convenience-type items such as, but not limited to, soups, chili, casserole-style dishes, etc. Use oven, steamer, char broiler, griddle, pasta maker, pasta cooker, or fryer as appropriate
5. Merchandise and ensure correct signage for assigned station
6. Greet guests, check ID's and sell guest tickets as assigned; complete sales on POS system as appropriate
7. Stock display cases and reach-in refrigerators
8. Stock items for sale or service
9. Clean and fill beverage machines, beverage stations and insure that appropriate cups, glasses and utensils are available at all times of service
10. Responsible for dining room cleanliness and appearance, to include, but not limited to, tables; chairs in an orderly fashion; pick up napkins, papers, and any other large items off floor
11. Sort silverware and fill dispensers, maintaining supply of clean dishes at service points, fill salt and pepper shakers, fill napkin dispensers
12. If assigned to the dish room, duties may include scraping of dishes and utensils, operating conveyor, and the proper storage of all items
13. Clean refrigerators, freezers, and all equipment used
14. Cover, date, and label all food items to be stored
15. Assist in food production in any area of Dining Services as assigned within classification
16. Assist in special events/catering events as assigned
17. Set up infirmary orders and assist in delivery
18. Responsible for cleanliness and organization of items stored in buffets/closets and in central receiving
19. Take care of washing and drying all laundry and store in proper places when assigned
20. Sell alcoholic beverages in compliance with NYS Liquor Authority and Skidmore College regulations
21. Frequently check and record temperatures of food throughout the day in accordance with Dining Services policies and New York State Board of Health Policies
22. Clean carts, bleach dishes, trays, glasses, burnish silver, polish silver, and other special event items
23. Test new recipes when requested
24. Ensure all food is prepared, served and stored in accordance with NYS Health Codes
25. Confer with supervisor as to extra duties in food preparation and cleaning in assigned area
26. Scrub chairs, tables, and all equipment weekly
27. Maintain a demonstrated interest in learning new ideas
28. Ability to speak and listen effectively and respectfully with supervisors, customers, and employees of the College
29. Maintain an appropriate image and dress
30. Establish and maintain a high level of customer service
Minimum Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); and six months previous work-related work
experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and procedure manuals.
Ability to add, subtract and multiply in culinary weights and measurements. Ability to count money and make
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to
deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
Serv-Safe/HACCP Certified within one year of employment from classification date.
Physical Demands: PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities, or those who are not physically able, to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk, sit; use hands to
finger, handle, or feel; reach/lift with hands and arms; push/pull; climb or balance; stoop, crouch; talk, hear,
taste and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds with appropriate equipment and
assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Required Applicant Documents: List of Three References
Optional Applicant Documents: Resume
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for this position, please fill out an online application and attach the following required document: a list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number.
This system can support attachments up to 1.9MB. If you encounter difficulty attaching any one of the required documents, please contact Clarissa Sawyer, Employment Coordinator in Human Resources at: email@example.com or 518 580.5802
Pay Range: $13.91/hour per union contract
Closing Date: 05-31-2018
Quicklink for posting: careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=58297
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.