STEP Assistant Director & Counselor
The Stevens Technical Enrichment Program (STEP) is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Director. STEP provides undergraduates with programs and services to help them achieve their academic goals, related career goals, retain them at Stevens, and enhance the overall quality of their campus experience.
STEP administers the New Jersey Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) program, - a state funded financial aid program, and assists with the recruitment and admission of students who meet the financial and academic requirements. STEP serves primarily, but not exclusively, students of color, and students from low income and academically underserved communities.
The Assistant Director will
- Serve as the program's primary counselor, providing individual and group counseling, and other related activities;
- Assist with EOF recruitment activities;
- Manage a comprehensive tutoring program, including hiring, and assigning tutors;
- Utilize Mapworks or other similar programs to track performance and progress of students;
- Assess students' needs & identify ways to address and respond;
- Create & implement an annual calendar of activities focused on the holistic development of the students;
- Schedule appropriate workshops and secure necessary presenters & facilitators;
- Collaborate with student organizations & other departments to offer relevant activities and events;
- Assist with the planning and management of the department's two summer programs;
- Plan & coordinate summer staff (TC/RA) orientation and training;
- Supervise summer tutors and residence hall staff;
- Manage the EOF funded summer Mathematics Immersion Program (MIP);
- Collaborate with department staff to provide a "student centered", supportive, and welcome environment;
- Assist with overall department operations, and represent department when necessary;
- Complete EOF annual performance report;
- Keep current with student development research, trends etc. and recommend/implement related initiatives;
- Contribute to budget forecasting;
- Perform the duties of director in the absence of the director;
- Complete other tasks as needed
Additionally the position will require some evening and weekend hours.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years related experience;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multitask effectively and to work independently, and as part of a team;
- Professionalism, creativity, and strong interpersonal skills;
Fluency in a second language (Spanish preferred) desired.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Stevens Technical Enrichment Program
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police