Position Number 013941
Position Classification Title Human Resources Specialist
Functional Title Benefits Specialist
Position Type Staff
The Department of Human Resources commits to the creation of an inclusive, collaborative, and responsive university by attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse community of talented individuals in support of the university's mission. Supporting over 2500 employees, the Benefits unit of Human Resources is tasked with the following functions - benefits administration, health and wellness programs, benefit systems oversight and management, workers compensation, disability management, Family Medical Leave Act, and invoice reconciliation for all benefit vendors.
Under the direction of the Benefits Manager, the Benefits Specialist administers comprehensive benefits; retirement, NC Flex, tax-sheltered annuity counseling and services for all University faculty, staff and administration as well as retirees from the University. This position also provides systems administration in the processing and payment of insurance invoices.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Serve as the Workers' Compensation Administrator for all faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Provide Benefits consultation on insurance plans, and assist with insurance changes.
- Using vendor systems, conduct monthly processing and payment of insurance invoices
- Handle system-related benefits processes using an ERP platform
- Coordinate and analyze systems-based information
- Maintain correspondence with vendors and state benefits offices
ESSENTIAL TASKS INCLUDE:
- Working with a team in the processing and payment of monthly insurance invoices
- Analyzing, interpreting, and auditing benefits data to ensure reporting accuracy and data integrity
- Counseling employees regarding insurance benefits, claims, basic retirement information
- Assisting in special projects as assigned by the Benefits Manager
BACHELOR'S DEGREE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge of Workers' Compensation administration
- Experience with benefits programs including medical, dental, disability, and tax-sheltered annuity plans
- Demonstrated careful attention to detail and accuracy in the interpretation of benefits policies, and the dissemination of time-sensitive information
- Proven ability to meet recurring deadlines and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner
- Outstanding customer service that shows empathy, cultivates an excellent rapport with faculty, staff, administrators and retirees, and communicates effectively with their varying needs and levels of comprehension
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with an enterprise-wide system such as Banner to process data
- Ability to analyze data and utilize computerized systems to resolve ongoing issues and problems
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills for creating and managing reports
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applicants will also have the option to upload the following documents:
- Reference Letters 1, 2 & 3
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range $34,978 - $40,800
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Human Resources Specialist
Competency Level Contributing
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Applied Knowledge - HR Program and Organization: Ability to research and learn State, federal and client policies and procedures affecting HR program area(s), demonstrated by the ability to routinely apply them to client needs.
Customer Service: Develops and maintains productive and collaborative work relationships and responds promptly and accurately to clients based on established policies and procedures. Explains established HR procedures and practices in terms of client needs and business results and goals.
Communication - Verbal/Written: States verbal and written messages in a clear manner and uses HR terms and examples that are understandable to clients and include their business goals. Relays HR information and explains HR processes to clients; responds to client needs within established parameters.
Information/Records Administration: Uses contemporary applicable data management systems to maintain and monitor data for assigned HR program area(s). Gathers routine information and compiles standard reports based on specific requests.
Program Administration: Completes daily work to meet established deadlines and client needs. Collects, organizes and disseminates program information; completes assignments in a timely manner.
Managing Work and Performance: Explains and applies established work standards, processes, and procedures. Provides specific feedback to the supervisor on an employee's performance during on-the-job-training.
Open Date 08/07/2017
Close Date 08/14/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have experience using BannerHR?
- Do you have work experience in a higher education setting?
- Describe your experience in providing customer service (in person, telephone, virtual) to a varied customer base.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu