Thank you for considering Curry College in your search.
About Curry College:
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution located on a wooded 131-acre campus in Milton, MA just seven miles from downtown Boston. Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), Curry College offers 24 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as four graduate programs.
Curry College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in every aspect of its operations. The College values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from a variety of backgrounds. Curry College is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity in the workplace.
Reporting to the Foreman of Trades, the Lead Carpenter is responsible for a wide range of maintenance duties and general repairs, monitoring and providing general up-keep, and ensuring the College facilities are maintained at a high standard, including but not limited to: roofing, flooring, dry-wall, ceilings, windows, finish work, doors and frames, gutters downspouts, fencing, and related interior and exterior items.
This position requires participation in an on-call rotation schedule. In addition, this position is considered essential personnel and as such is required to participate in general snow shoveling and removal, salting, sanding, and trash pick- up as directed and as needed. The work schedule for this position is Monday – Friday, 7:00 am -3:30 pm.
- Organize and prioritize assignments under the direction of the Foreman of Trades.
- Accurately and effectively read and follow plans, layouts, and written materials.
- As directed, performs various work area “walk-throughs” to survey preventative maintenance and repair needs.
- In absence of Foreman of Trades, works with the Assistant Director of Buildings and Grounds to prioritize the daily workload of the department.
- Arranges for facilities related supplies, equipment, and material purchases from vendors as needed.
- Informs supervisor and/or office staff, in a timely manner, when facilities related supplies, equipment, and material purchases are needed.
- Respond to and complete emergency repairs.
- Repair and remodel various spaces as directed.
- Construct framing, remove and demolish old and build new walls, put up Install and finish dry-wall, put up ceilings, perform finish work, lay floor tile and hang doors.
- Repair, replace and/or install roofing, soffits, fascia, downspouts and gutters, fencing, and windows/screens/shades;
- Perform minimal pest control tasks, as directed.
- Maintain inventory of all tools, supplies and equipment.
General Expectations and Duties:
- It is expected that all work performed is in compliance with any applicable licensure requirements.
- May be asked to communicate with, and direct the work of subcontractors and vendors.
- Communicate regularly with management to meet the needs of the department.
- Under general supervision, work independently within department standard operating procedures, referring all requests to purchase to the Foreman of Trades.
- Must adhere to all safety practices and standards.
- Provides timely response to work orders and assignments.
- Perform duties independently according to broadly prescribed renovation and maintenance projects.
- Effectively completes required administrative processes on request and effectively produces required documentation and reports.
- Works collaboratively with B&G and other College employees.
- Identifies and reports any items that are in need of repair and/or pose a safety hazard at both interior and exterior of buildings to Foreman, forwarding to B&G office issues that need immediate attention.
- Responsible for keeping work area clean and safe at all times including company vehicle.
- Provides responsible and reliable coverage; must occasionally be available for off-hour emergencies.
- A reasonable amount of overtime may be required as necessary to meet the needs of the department.
- May occasionally be required to perform various grounds or trades tasks, including but not limited to moving furniture, and assisting in set ups, as directed.
- Assist with other B&G functions and perform other duties as directed.
- Occasionally oversees and provides hands on direction to students and temporary/casual workers as assigned. It is expected that this position will oversee the work of carpenters, and other personnel as directed.
- High school diploma, G.E.D or equivalent required. (2-3 years of trade school or apprenticeship training preferred).
- A valid unrestricted Massachusetts driver's license and good driving record required.
- Requires five (5) to ten (10) years hands-on full-time related commercial experience. Advanced/high-level skill in finish carpentry required.
- Must have overall working knowledge of general maintenance and repair operations and practices.
- Must have proven skills in the safe use of hand and power tools used in buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Basic working knowledge on the use of computers.
- Proven effective communication skills, a high level of professionalism and strong customer service orientation.
- Must have the ability to complete required daily administrative processes.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated history of being prompt and reliable.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible in a changing fast-paced environment.
- Proven record of team orientation with demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex environment with constantly changing priorities.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs occasionally and 50lbs often.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at: http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.