Military Student Success Specialist-Virtual College (R-0455)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This position is responsible for working closely with prospective military students and family members, current students using the military education portals, and other partnered programming that serve active-duty and veteran student learners by providing outstanding student service support.
A genuine desire to work with and alongside military student populations
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
Experience being detail oriented
Must be willing to travel
Previous/current service in a branch of the United States military
Knowledge of military education benefits (GI Bill, MyCAA, TA, SOC, GAE, CCAF, etc.)
Proven Leadership Experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority Deadline is August 31, 2017
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Assisting Current Military Students and Family Members (% of job – 20%)
- Respond promptly and professionally to phone and email inquiries
- Work closely with Education Service Officers (ESO) and/or base contacts ensuring veteran learners continued success
- Manage/update military education portals (i.e. GoArmyEd [GAE], AF Portal, etc.) daily
- Report important data to the D.O.D., all branches of the service, and related NGOs as requested
- Create unofficial and complimentary degree plans for prospective military students upon request
- Communicate with faculty as needed with regard to military students
- Plan and oversee programs that raise awareness of veteran students on campus
- Participate in webinars and conference calls regularly
- Update military section of the FHSU website regularly
- Review policy changes pertaining to active-duty and veteran benefits and inform students, prospective students, and appropriate offices on campus of the changes
- Attend symposiums, seminars, and workshops regularly (CCME, KS-ANG, SOC, etc.)
Recruit/Inform Prospective Military Students (40%)
- Proactively consult with both newly admitted and prospective military students
- Respond promptly and professionally to phone and email inquiries
- Seek out opportunities for potential partnerships with military ESOs and/or base contacts
- Look for effective and affordable opportunities to market to military populations
- Attend military education fairs (on posts, bases, and installations)
- Assist with promotional, marketing materials, and related websites
- Assist with meeting retention goals as set by the AVP of Enrollment Management
- Contact ESOs and/or base contacts annually with any new FHSU updates (tuition, programs, etc.) by mail, e-mail, etc.
- Oversee all social media platforms pertaining to military students
Be an Active Member of the University (5%)
- Act as an advocate on behalf of military students and present regularly to on-campus and off-campus groups about what services are needed and offered for veteran students
- Serve on the university’s Military Friendly Committee
- Serve as de facto Faculty Advisor for the Student Veterans of America chapter unless another is selected by the student organization
- Participate in the FHSU Green Zone Training
Manage Recruiting Liaisons (MS and NC) (5%)
- Coordinate all military liaison activities (recruiting, promotional items, travel, etc.)
- Communicate regularly with liaisons with regard to event participation
- Oversee liaison budget
- Set marketing goals for liaisons and provide feedback
Assisting RTG-JROTC veteran students (5%)
- Field phone and email inquiries daily pertaining to the FHSU-RTG Partnership
- Act as a liaison between the leadership at RTG & Associates and FHSU
- Guide RTG-JROTC students on a daily basis
- Create degree plans for admitted RTG-JROTC Instructor student populations
- Work closely and collaboratively with departments assisting RTG students
Assist in Virtual College Operations (25%)
- Create degree summaries for Stop-Out program prospective students
- Cover for other staff as needed
- Assist with Virtual College Mailings
- Assist in the Virtual College call center and live chats
- Attend non-military recruiting events as necessary for VC
Additional Duties as Assigned (TBD)
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Submit application documents in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Holly Rebel
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.