JOB TITLE: CORRECTIONAL OFFICER
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Shift Supervisor performs a variety of work for the care, custody and control of inmates incarcerated at the facility and others under departmental supervision.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school graduate or equivalent.
Good physical and mental health.
Ability to work as an individual and also as a team member.
Ability to supervise others.
Ability and willingness to follow orders promptly and accurately.
Willing to work all shifts.
Able to work overtime as required, including double shifts and days off.
Agree to report any personal arrest and/or conviction within 24 hours to a supervisor.
Agree to submit to background check at least every three (3) years.
Successfully complete forty (40) hours orientation, four (4) weeks of on the job training, followed by Thirty (30) hours of in-house training every year thereafter.
Successfully complete the Correctional Officers Academy, two hundred (200) hours of training.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision of inmates incarcerated at the facility and those under departmental supervision who may not be incarcerated but are otherwise under departmental control.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Correctional Officer will be responsible for:
1. Following all federal, state and local laws.
2. Following the department Operational Guidelines regarding all assigned duties.
3. Reporting for duty at the designated time dressed in proper uniform.
4. Demonstrating his/her knowledge of accepted correctional practices through the utilization of the Strafford County Department of Corrections Operational Guidelines.
5. Supervising and giving instruction to incarcerated inmates.
6. Being proficient at implementing emergency procedures by following the Strafford County Department of Corrections Emergency Manual.
7. Being proficient in all areas of responsibility i.e.: Housing Pods 1, 2 and 3, Zone Officer, and Reception Officer.
8. Perform oversight and assistance in the conduct of the departments programs. Designed to transition inmates into society and reduce the recidivism rate of released inmates.
9. Conducting headcounts accurately and promptly and visually identify each inmate.
10. Maintaining the Officer's and Visitor's Logs.
11. Maintaining a pass-on of all relevant events.
12. Doing daily searches of his/her area to make sure it is safe and secure.
13. Conducting clothed and unclothed search on inmates, when necessary.
14. Conducting metal detectors searches on civilians entering the facility.
15. The general housekeeping of his/her area.
16. Enforcing all inmate rules of the Strafford County Department of Corrections.
17. Having knowledge of and proficiently protect the due process rights of all inmates incarcerated at the facility.
18. Performing any and all other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS: Strafford County offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
*NH State (Group 2) retirement
*Health/ Dental insurance
*Life/ Disability insurance
*11 paid holidays
*12 sick days
*Payback for unused sick leave
*100% sick leave
*2 weeks vacation
WE ALSO OFFER:
*A climate controlled work environment
*County tuition reimbursement
*A six month probationary period under our Field Training Program
*Meals and uniforms
*An Annual benefit to employees that maintain a superior level of physical fitness
It is the mission of The Strafford County department of Corrections to protect the public by using the best correctional practice to provide humane, cost effective confinement, supervision and rehabilitative services. The department will carry out it's responsibility by:
-Protecting the public through incarceration of the offender.
-Providing a range of correctional programs necessary to meet the needs of both society and the individual.
-Implementing court ordered sanctions in the least restrictive environment consistent with public safety.
-Ensuring safe, secure housing for incarcerated persons without prejudice.
-Fostering staff growth and responsibility through challenging training in a safe, positive work environment.
We will fulfill these responsibilities while respecting the rights of the victim and recognizing the dignity inherent in all human beings.
Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:19:43 PDT