Administrative Assistant - Health Professions
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College's campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2017-081
Posting Start Date: 8/4/2017
Minimum Education: Not Specified
Additional Documentation: Transcripts May Be Submitted
Administrative Assistant - Health Professions
Provides secretarial support to faculty and administrative staff, including appointments, correspondence, manuscripts, grant proposals, and filing. Assists with office services such as purchasing (FMIS), payroll, records control, and other administrative activities for the head of the department/division.
An Administrative Assistant II for Health Professionals responsible for:
- Answers telephone, screens callers, relays messages, and greets visitors. Opens, sorts, and screens mail. Picks up and delivers materials as required. Operates office equipment such as photocopier, fax machine, and calculator.
- Operates personal computer to access e-mail, electronic calendars, and other basic office support software.
- Types and transcribes routine correspondence, takes meeting minutes, and reports from dictation or handwritten copy using personal computer.
- Performs data entry operations.
- Assists with maintaining calendar, scheduling appointments and meeting rooms. Assists with making routine travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Files in alphanumeric order and locates material from files.
- Assists with special event planning.
- Assists in formatting and preparation of manuscripts, grant proposals, statistical reports, tables, and charts using knowledge of scientific, medical, literary, or other technical terms.
- Completes various requests forms for office supplies and equipment as directed. Assists with and implements office services such as payroll, purchasing, records control, projects and budget accounting operations.
- Assists with/and/or participates in the preparation of the budget Interprets and communicates operating policies.
- Assists with collection and preparation of search and hire documents, financial and operational reports.
- Locates and compiles information and formats reports, graphs, tables, records and other sources of information.
- Assembles and categorizes facts and figures for written computation and calculations.
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate, and/or format data and/or reports.
- Monitor completion of health clearance by students prior to start of semester, use the hospital CAHS system to coordinate the request of clinical facilities; assist with hospital contract preparation and maintain files, conduct phone surveys of graduates 6 months to a year after graduation; gather stats for pre-entry session each semester and create intake files on all incoming students; provide administrative support for grants in nursing and allied health programs.
- Knows the formal and informal departmental goals, standards, policies and procedures which may include some familiarity of other departments within the school/division. Is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the department.
- Decision Making:
- Carries out routine duties and responsibilities with supervision. Makes decisions and establishes work priorities on essentially procedure-oriented operations.
- May oversee or coordinate the work of others (interns, work-study students, ect). Communication:
- Exchanges non-routine information using tact and persuasion as appropriate requiring good oral and written communication skills.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using keyboard
- Communication skills using the spoken word Ability to see within normal parameters Ability to hear within normal range
- Ability to move about
- Required: Two years college or equivalent work experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Preferred Experience: Four years of related administrative experience required.
- Additional education may be substituted for years of related experience
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410.209.6055 or HRComplianceCoordina@bccc.edu
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.