Instructional Associate - Biology or Chemistry (PT-50%)
General Statement of Job
To provide instructional support for the department.
Location Round Rock Campus
Note: Learning Lab Hours Monday - Thursday, 8:00am-8:00pm; Friday, 9:00am-3:00pm. 20 hours per week, as assigned. Salary Salary is assigned according to the Adjunct Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Manager, Round Rock Campus Learning Lab Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- 1. Provide instructional support and tutoring for the Learning Lab in the areas of Biology and/or Chemistry.
2. Serve as liaison between Learning Lab Manager and academic departments, ACC faculty, and hourly tutors.
3. Assist with screening, interviewing, and hiring of tutors.
4. Develop and implement training for hourly tutors.
5. Conduct orientations for new tutors.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective teaching techniques adaptable to a variety of learning styles with an understanding of the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the discipline.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Understanding the principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
- Dealing with sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Effective planning, organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively assisting and assessing student learning.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Maintaining an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, and multiple campus locations that may vary by semester.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information.
- Demonstrating proficiency using computer applications, classroom or other current learning technologies for effective teaching at the community college level.
- Experience using standard office software programs and the technology needed to support learning at the college level.
Required Work Experience
- To be hired in this position, the candidate must be an adjunct faculty member who is currently teaching or has taught at least one course within the prior 12 months for Austin Community College.
- Selection as an Instructional Associate does not affect priority status in staffing for upcoming courses. Instructional departments are solely responsible for determination of priority in e-staffing.
Preferred Work Experience
- Prior tutoring experience at the college level.
- Educational requirements in accordance with SACSCOC accreditation standards. See Faculty Credentials at www.austincc.edu/facstaff/faculty-credentials. No substitution for educational requirements.
- License or certification may be required to meet SACSCOC faculty qualifications for the subject taught. See the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at www.austincc.edu/facstaff/faculty-credentials.
- Work is routinely performed in an office/classroom environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.