Campus Safety Specialist
Campus Safety Specialist-1702247
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver’s License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes”). At the time of interview, candidate must possess a NYS recognized hazardous Material Operations certificate, recognized First Aid and CPR (D) certification. Candidates will be required to demonstrate through a medical examination, their ability to meet NFPA 1582 standards at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. A medical examination will be required prior to appointment.
Preferred Qualifications: NYS Emergency Medical Technician, HAZMAT Technician and firefighter 1 certifications preferred.
Brief Description of Duties: The Campus Safety Specialist will carry out the general duties such as (but not limited to): fire safety and extinguisher inspections; emergency response to fires, fire alarms, and other emergencies; review building plans and drawings for conformity with Fire Codes; conduct fire drills and assist with the development of building emergency plans; perform inspection and testing of fire protection systems; conduct fire safety training; organize and participate in fire prevention awareness activities and events; attend required training; and provide fire safety coverage for emergencies, impairments, and special events. Duties to include the following:
- Perform emergency response to fires, medical emergencies, hazardous materials incidents, confined space incidents, and other campus emergencies. Initiate building evacuations, search and rescue operations, extinguish incipient fires, and coordinate the response of outside assistance by local fire departments. Respond to, investigate, and take appropriate action for fire alarm and protection system activations. Complete incident reports.
- Perform fire safety and extinguisher inspections, and hazard assessments on all facilities, ensuring compliance with OSHA, NYS Fire Codes, NFPA Standards and Codes, and other applicable standards. Complete inspection and deficiency report, provide follow-up to ensure that corrective action is taken, and maintain records of all activities. Accomplish miscellaneous fire prevention duties such as inspecting work sites and issuing hot work and confined space entry permits.
- Review building plans and drawings for conformity with NYS Fire Codes, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Codes, and other applicable fire safety standards, to include checking compliance on the design/installation of all sprinkler systems, fire detection systems, and other fire extinguishing systems. Perform occupancy reviews of public areas to establish maximum occupancy requirements. Document, review and maintain records.
- Conduct fire drills each semester and evaluate effectiveness of evacuations. Assist with the coordination, training, and implementation of the Safety Warden and Fire Warden (UH) programs. Accomplish reports on all drills and training. Assist with the development of building emergency plans, evacuation
- Perform periodic inspection and testing of fire protection systems (e.g. standpipes, sprinkler systems, hydrants, etc.) in accordance with NFPA Standards. Conduct tests of the water supply system to ensure adequate fire flow for fire department operations. Assess requests for fire protection impairment operations. Monitor and track conditions to ensure restoration. Develop, complete and maintain reports on all fire protection system testing/maintenance.
- Conduct fire safety training for students, faculty and staff to educate and inform the campus community of requirements and issues. Participate in new student and staff orientation programs. Organize and participate in fire prevention awareness activities and events.
- Attend required training and perform practical reviews as necessary to maintain certifications and proficiency in assigned tasks. Provide fire safety coverage for emergencies, impairments and special events.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Thursday through Monday, hours varied. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Official Job Title: Campus Safety Specialist
Job Field: Enviornmental Health and Safety
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Enivronmental Health and Safety-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Variable TBDEnivronmental Health and Safety-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Aug 4, 2017
Posting End Date: Aug 18, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG12