CU Boulder's Facilities Management is accepting applications for an Accountant. As part of the accounting team, this role will help create budgets and provide fiscal analysis for Facilities Operations. This role would be a great fit for someone who enjoys identifying and analyzing fiscal trends and anomalies, and helping managers understand causes and determine solutions.
Who we are:
Facilities Management maintains and operates building maintenance systems, structural and architectural components and grounds areas for the university's entire academic and research facilities. We work to provide a physical and operational environment that supports the University of Colorado Boulder's mission of education, research and outreach.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Budgetary Analysis & Support
- Monitor and adjust budgetary models based on projected operating expenditures and project needs, in collaboration with cost center managers and supervisors.
- Provide financial oversight and analysis of operations and related projects and recommend courses of action that comply with GAAP and departmental policies.
- Monitor Facilities Operations SpeedTypes for accuracy and appropriateness of activity. Monitor and evaluate revenues, expenses, and encumbrances against budgets and historical operating data.
- Prepare Position Change Authorizations and budget journals as needed based on analysis of available resources and the operational needs of the unit.
- Present the financial status of operating budgets at Facilities Operations management team meetings and prepare topics of discussion related to maintaining the accuracy of financial data.
- Reconcile and maintain capital equipment renewal and replacement schedule and advise management on planning annual spending.
- Prepare regular financial reports for internal department use and provide information to other campus departments.
- Prepare timely and reliable reports to advise management of current and projected financial condition.
- Analyze report data to identify unusual transaction activity, research causes, and provide explanations to management.
- Utilize various accounting and reporting systems, as well as Microsoft Excel, to effectively reconcile reporting data. Provide ad hoc reporting and analysis as requested by management that will clarify financial impacts of complex operating issues.
- Support the department's annual budget and charge rate development process by analyzing revenues and expenditures to provide guidance for establishing appropriate budgets.
- Train managers to understand and clarify the impacts of operational changes on charge rates.
- Prepare analyses of cost center budgets with regard to changes in the charge rates and increases/decreases in general fund dollars to support operations. Present results of budget analyses to Facilities Operations managers and director, the accounting manager, and Business Services director.
- Work with the director and managers of Facilities Operations and the accounting manager to improve the budget process.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$50,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be strategic. Be resourceful. Be collaborative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or University with at least 27 semester credit hours of accounting and auditing coursework. Full-time professional accounting experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to explain financial processes
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience in government, higher education and/or construction accounting.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by August 21, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10456.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Aug 4, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 21, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00724089