Assistant Director III
Risk Mgmt Services-Gen - 152600
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The University of North Texas (UNT) has an enrollment of over 37,000 students with 166 buildings and 15 residence halls on 900 acres. The University's Department of Risk Management Services (RMS) has a commitment to comply with federal, state and local standards to provide a safe and healthful environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. The department's primary goal is to identify and respond to exposures to loss, apply measures to prevent loss, and develop processes for responding to emergencies and unexpected events on UNT property.
The Risk Management Services Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Industrial Hygienist to join our team.
This position will be responsible for combining professional judgment and technical expertise to identify, analyze and control hazards, with a continued focus on the delivery of excellent customer service. This position requires creativity and objectivity in addressing a broad scope of health and safety issues. The candidate will be a self-starter and possess the ability to work independently, jointly developing goals and objectives under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Public Health.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Anticipate, recognize, evaluate, control and prevent occupational health and safety hazards that may result in injury, illness, or affect the well-being of workers.
* Secure the assistance and cooperation of persons in various departments throughout the campus, including academic departments.
* Conduct annual air quality inspections of campus buildings, monitor noise levels, assess mold issues, and perform workplace ergonomic surveys.
* Conduct Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) assessments proactively and respond immediately to employee concerns.
* Create detailed technical reports with explanations of analytical results and provide recommendations based on findings.
* Evaluate ventilation needs and requirements to ensure occupant comfort, safety and health.
* Maintain a variety of monitoring equipment, ensuring instruments are ready for use at all times. Perform and maintain documentation concerning calibration, routine testing, and repairs.
* Maintain and manage Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Management and Respiratory Protection Programs.
* Perform Respirator Fit Testing according to OSHA Standards.
* Ensure regulatory compliance as mandated by local, state and federal agencies.
* Must be able to lift 50lbs., climb stairs, wear respirator and crawl in confined space.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Bachelor degree in related science or engineering discipline and two years of directly related professional experience.
* Master's degree in Industrial Hygiene from an ABET Accredited Program.
* Good standing as a Certified Industrial Hygienist or ability to acquire and maintain Certified Industrial Hygienist certification.
* Good standing as a Mold Assessment Consultant or ability to acquire and maintain Mold Assessment Consultant License.
* Ability to maintain effective working relationships; good human relation skills are essential.
* Effective oral and written communication skills that can be used with people of various backgrounds, experience and education levels.
* Strong organizational and computer skills, meticulous attention to detail and record keeping skills.
* Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects within the confines of time, budgets and available personnel.
* Skill in the operation and maintenance of a variety of monitoring and testing equipment.
* Knowledge of occupational health standards, codes and regulations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references with their online application.
** Start date 9/1/17 or Later **
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting