Director of eRA
University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
(UIS) is recruiting for a full-time Director of Electronic Research Administration (eRA). The UIS eRA service, serving all campuses, supports the University of Colorado's $800M in annual sponsored research. In partnership with campus research support teams, UIS eRA services include proposal development and tracking, human subjects administration, conflict of interest processing, document management, and research financial tracking.
UIS has the responsibility for managing the eRA system infrastructure, application security, system interfaces, and performing quality assurance and vendor management functions. The campus research administration and compliance offices remain the data stewards of the system, with campus teams taking responsibility for managing back office functions, including performing module administration functions, and aiding in the rollout and adoption of the software to faculty, administrators, and other associated users.
UIS deploys a number of different technologies to provide the eRA service, with the main application platform being provided from InfoEd of Albany, New York. Current major projects underway include proposal tracking for our Boulder campus, document management for our Anschutz Medical Campus in Denver, and an upgrade of InfoEd, and integration with PeopleSoft financials to serve all campuses. The Director, working with the eRA team, is responsible for the daily operations of the service, maturing the UIS eRA service definition, delivery, and support capability, managing strategic eRA initiatives, and assisting with the management of eRA internal and external relationships, including the InfoEd vendor. The Director is also responsible for the personnel management and development of the UIS eRA staff. Recognizing that the campuses have both common and distinct eRA business processes, the Director will learn and influence these processes in order to ensure the eRA services meet campus needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Establishes the goals and direction of the service in accordance with the priorities of the institution's key stakeholders
- Manages vendor relations and serves as the main point of contact for the vendor
- Manages the operational activities of the eRA team in adherence with UIS standards
- Aides in the facilitation of cross-campus stakeholder engagement and planning efforts
- Maintains overall eRA project schedules according to UIS standards
- Identifies issues and risks impacting the on-time delivery of projects
- Develops project management tools and provides key project metrics reports where needed
- Reviews all project documentation to ensure consistency with UIS PMO standards
- Responsible for the on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Responsible for the management and quality control of all work products related to the implementation
- Develops and executes mitigation strategies for project risks
- Prioritizes issues and tasks in accordance with the priorities of the end-user community and sr. business leaders within project constraints
This position supervises the eRA team, five (5) team members, and directly reports to the Senior Director of Research and Grants Systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The ability to effectively facilitate and lead complex and mission critical focus group / business design sessions
- Exceptional written and oral communications with direct experience managing communications with Sr. leadership, project sponsors, stakeholders and software vendors
- Full understanding of the software implementation lifecycle and experience with industry methodologies for managing complex implementation projects
- Must be proficient with MS Project, Visio, PowerPoint, and Excel, and have experience with Microsoft-based software implementation platforms
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $120,000 - $130,000.
Benefits: Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- 5+ years leading and managing teams, including performance reviews and development plans
- 7+ years' experience leading implementation efforts and managing systems within the academic research domain including the following:
- Direct management of implementation teams and projects containing budgetary constraints
- Must have the ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators through projects and operations; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style
- Establishing project standards and managing a team accordingly
- 3+ years of vendor management experience
- Experience at a public sector and/or institution of higher education
- Experience with InfoEd or other pre-award software suites
- Prior experience as technical resource or business analysis on a project team
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Thursday, August 17, 2017. Those who do not apply by August 17, 2017 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by August 17, 2017.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Aug 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00697817