Social Media Strategist
MSU Denver seeks an innovative content creator, storyteller and strategist to lead its rapidly growing social media efforts. The social media strategist will communicate the MSU Denver story to internal stakeholders (students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, partners and donors) and the external community (prospective students, media, industry leaders, local and national influencers, etc.) through the ideation, creation and strategic placement of shareable content and stories.
The SMS will own MSU Denver’s social media strategy, refining and enhancing the current plan to grow engagement and tracking analytics to adjust course as necessary. The incumbent will understand current social media trends, stay abreast of the latest platform changes and innovations, and assess new tools for inclusion in the University’s ever-adapting social strategy. The SMS will create and manage a social media calendar to work in tandem with the overarching editorial calendar, while also gracefully responding to the day’s immediate demands, including direct engagement with constituents, moderation and news jacking.
The SMS will serve as the primary representative of the University on public-facing platforms with professionalism and a nuanced understanding of the brand, fully recognizing that social media doesn’t shut down at 5 p.m. Success in this position would be expanding awareness of the University’s brand and presence to the point where MSU Denver is recognized for its groundbreaking work in the social media marketing space.
This position is not intended to be a desk job. As the face of social media for MSU Denver, the SMS will network in person with campus stakeholders, including students, student groups, faculty, staff and alumni in order to grow engagement.
A key player in MSU Denver’s Department of Marketing and Communication, the SMS reports to the senior content strategist/news director.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Social Media Strategist
Salary for Announcement
The beginning of the salary range is $50,737. The final salary will be commensurate with experience and education.
Marketing and Communications
Full Time Administrators
• Plan, create, share and moderate branded content across social and digital media channels, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Vimeo, Google+ and Wikipedia in order to tell the MSU Denver story.
• Update and refine the University’s social media strategy to grow engagement, in particular on LinkedIn, Instagram and Snapchat.
• Become the face of social media at MSU Denver by visiting with students, faculty and staff to generate engagement and grow followers.
• Attend multiple events each week to capture engaging and unexpected written and visual content for social media channels.
• Position MSU Denver on the cutting edge of social media marketing by keeping up with the latest in social media trends and platforms with an eye toward incorporating new ideas and/or emerging platforms.
• Monitor and listen on social media channels to drive strategic direction and proactively address conversations or issues relevant to the organization. Some of this monitoring will happen during evenings and weekends.
• Represent the University on public-facing platforms with professionalism and a nuanced understanding of the brand.
• Write original, engaging stories for a variety of audiences that can be shared in MSU Denver’s newsroom and on social media channels.
• Adapt stories written by others to appeal to targeted audiences on each social media channel.
• Capture basic video clips that can be used to support stories or live stream events using latest social media tools.
• Gather and present pertinent analytics, and use those findings to refine strategy.
• Train campus stakeholders on social media guidelines.
• Assess and refine social media guidelines as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, English, business, new media, journalism or related field.
• Five years of professional experience creating innovative, engaging and shareable branded content across a variety of social media channels for a business, nonprofit, governmental or higher education institution.
• Five years of professional experience managing a social media calendar with clear benchmarks to demonstrate achievements.
• Five years of experience working with photography, graphics and gifs to create clickable content.
• Error-free writing and storytelling ability with versatility to engage multiple audiences as evidenced by a strong writing sample.
• Command of AP Style as demonstrated by application materials.
• Demonstrated understanding of social media management tools like Sprout, and ability to critically evaluate emerging digital platforms for future use by the department.
• Experience in developing and executing a social media plan with goals and metrics as demonstrated by application materials.
• Graduate degree in marketing, communications, English, business, new media, journalism or related field.
• Seven years or more of professional experience creating engaging, innovative and shareable written and visual branded content across a variety of social media channels for a business, nonprofit, governmental or higher education institution.
• Professional experience in higher education communications and marketing.
• Experience shooting and editing video a plus.
• Experience creating infographics a plus.
• Experience supervising student interns a plus.
• Notable experience and comfort presenting to groups.
• Clear understanding of social media theory and industry trends to inform Universitywide social media strategy.
• Demonstrated ability to exceed job expectations in a fast-paced environment while simultaneously juggling multiple projects.
Close on Closing Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Please attach a writing sample packet that demonstrates your mastery of social media.
Please share links to the social media accounts you have managed or are managing.
If for some reason you have trouble attaching the required documents, email them to email@example.com.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
This posting will close at midnight MST on the closing date.