Applications Development Supervisor
El Camino College
Applications Development Supervisor
Division: Information Technology Services
Close Date: 08/18/2017
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
Under the of the assigned administrator, supervise and evaluate applications development and user support staff; plan, organize, manage, and direct the activities of an applications development and systems programming section of professional staff. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring the effective planning and completion of multiple software projects of varying size and scope to meet business area requirements, assist with the strategic design, development and continuous improvement of enterprise-wide business and administrative applications including driving innovation, architecture, application development, managing third- party applications, integration, application support, and testing.
• Coordinate applications/database support activities through direct and indirect staff.
• Direct IT teams in the areas of scheduling, technical direction, future planning, and application/database support and enhancement practices.
• Provide leadership in the design, development, and support, and implementation of applications.
• Provide scope and prioritization on work assignments, paying strong attention to detail and deadlines.
• Provide project management and direction over applications, development, programming, and user support staff, standing and special project committees, and contracted services.
• Utilize and promote the use of Enterprise tools and development/support standards.
• Perform systems analysis and project management activities that include planning, designing, implementing and maintaining district-wide business applications and computer systems.
• Determine business requirements, conducts process analysis and prioritization.
• Interact with the user community to gather and document business requirements, conduct process analysis, and draft conceptual design.
• Define a development standards methodology that accommodates changing business priorities.
• Monitor application modification requests and ensure best practices are being utilized.
• Ensure that the team (and other IT members) are responding to, and troubleshooting reported problems pertaining to the application performance and reliability. Identify the cause, design or develop an approach for resolution. Implement the correction to meet user specific needs as approved.
• Supervise and evaluate performance of assigned personnel and provides for development and training of staff. Participate in the selection of new employees as assigned.
• Perform other duties as required.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Supervisory principles (for those positions with supervisory responsibility).
• Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations affecting data collection, processing, consolidation, analysis, and reporting.
• System design, development, implementation, and user support principles and practices.
• Database management principles and practices.
• Expert level principles, concepts and practices in assigned area of responsibility.
• Hardware and software system design and implementation principles and practices.
• Project management principles.
• Advanced systems analysis methods, practices, and principle.
• Experience with CRM, ERP, SharePoint in a higher education environment.
• Cost modeling principles.
• Leading edge technologies.
• Information system troubleshooting methods.
• Virtual and cloud technologies.
• Principles and techniques of IT applications and development such as Agile Software Development and Scrum principles.
• Computer hardware systems, software applications, and networking standards.
• Customer service standards, practices, techniques and procedures. Business communication techniques.
• Supervising subordinate staff (as required).
• Plan innovative, efficient, and productive information infrastructure to facilitate data transactions.
• Troubleshoot, research, and resolve complex computer system problems.
• Manage enterprise-wide, complex projects.
• Evaluate and research computer-related products.
• Support public and private cloud computing environments.
• Develop automated business systems
• Provide customer service.
• Read, analyze, and interpret technical manuals.
• Identify situations requiring action and resolve problems proactively.
• Prepare workflow analyses.
• Evaluate and design new systems and apply them to new or existing business processes.
• Facilitate training.
• Develop creative and innovative system solutions.
• Communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
• Defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions;
• Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
• Utilize computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting.
• Communicate effectively through oral and written mediums.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Business Systems Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Information Systems or a related field AND three years of systems administration, including one year of supervisory experience and knowledge of assigned functional area. Relevant experience may substitute for
the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid California Driver’s License
• May be required to drive to offsite locations.
• Extensive computer work.
• Use hands, wrists and fingers to operate various office machines. Interact with a variety of individuals.
• Move from one work area to another.
SALARY RANGE $7,966 to $10,318 per month.
Employees contribute 6.50% - 7% of their earnings toward the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is designated as a grant funded administrative position. Excellent fringe benefits include eight 32- hour workweeks during the summer. Working hours will be Monday through Friday 7:45 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory employment verification, fingerprint check, and tuberculosis examination. The selected candidate must provide identification and work authorization. Physical standards for this position are available for review in Human Resources.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
2) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and
3) Pertinent transcripts as stated in the required qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple
page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
Due to the large volume of calls received on closing dates, we highly recommend that you do not wait until the last day to apply so that we may assist you with questions or technical matters that may arise. Give yourself sufficient time to complete the profile, which may take 45 minutes or more. Positions close promptly at 3:00 p.m.
Applicants with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact Human Resources at least five (5) working days prior to the final filing date.
If you should need assistance, please call (310) 660-3593 Ext. 3807 or visit the office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer