General Food Service Worker/Cold Food Production
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks a full-time, non-exempt, benefits-eligible General Food Service Worker (Cold Food Production). The General Food Service Worker is responsible for a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. This twelve-month, full time, non-exempt, fully benefits eligible position requires a high level of customer service at all times, and requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Serving meals to customers, ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service. Update temperature logs at each meal and communicate needs to cooks
- Maintain front of house serving areas including beverage stations, salad and deli bars, serving lines, snack and dessert areas and dining room. Ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean
- Work as cashier for the dining hall. Swipe ID cards for students and guests who have a meal plan, and accurately process all cash transactions
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may including slicing deli meats and cheeses, chopping vegetables, preparing salads, desserts and fruits, as well as cleaning work area and equipment used
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying and grilling
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the fining operation. This includes working in the dish room, pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping and mopping, and wiping tables and counter tops
- Adherence to standards outlines by local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- All other duties as assigned or directed.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Must have 1-2 years previous food preparation experience, including basic cooking in commercial and/or institutional foodservice operation.
- Ability to read and follow recipes and production sheets
- Must have ability to properly use various knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, score, julienne, whip, beat, or otherwise prep food
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill and steamer
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to co-workers and management
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions
- Must have, or be able to maintain current ServSafe certification
- Previous cashier experience preferred
Special Requirements: Include early morning hours, evening hours, and weekends. This position is considered essential staff, and must work during declared inclement weather.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) six to either hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Six to eight hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their application, to include a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references to https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker-1_R34. For full consideration, please apply by Wednesday, August 16, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.